Fg Satnav

BLACK_FPV_F6

• Member For: 15y 1m 7d

Hey guys/gals,

I haven't optioned SatNav when I got the car, however some blokes on have been advertising factory FG satnav kits that I know of. Essentially they are factory wrapped manuals with a remote and presumably the CD. Is it as simple as popping it in the CD drive and away you go? I have the reverse camera option and I couldn't justify 2.5k on the SatNav.

Is this a plug/insert and play type of system or is the more to it than that?

Thanks.

• Still have a turbo, it's just on a diesel.
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 18y 9m 12d

Factory Sat Nav is a serious ripoff, buy your self a good portable and save your self 2 grand.

• Sucker
  • Moderating Team
  • Member For: 19y 11m 26d

The FG system uses a SD card rather than a CD and is mounted under the dash/behind the glove box.

Not sure how easy it is to retro-fit though sorry.

• Forged Member
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 17y 2m 12d

You can retro fit the system, however you will need to takethe car to Ford Service so they cna sync up the reverse camera with the sat-nav.

• No boost, no bottle, just my foot on the throttle!
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 20y 2m 6d

My FG did not come with Satnav, but was told to get it from spares for 1/2 price in comparison to the new car price :stupid:

I have noticed that ASL are selling a kit that looks like the factory one for $1500.

The problme with the facotry unit is the remote control, functionality and general usefullness.

• Member For: 15y 1m 7d

Apparently I now need a module to run it.

Once the module is installed I would then need to go the Ford to get it to sync with the screen/camera.

What a head-ache to go through... probably right. Just buy a portable... BUT there is just something about having a factory unit.

• Member For: 15y 8m
My FG did not come with Satnav, but was told to get it from spares for 1/2 price in comparison to the new car price :sleep:

I have noticed that ASL are selling a kit that looks like the factory one for $1500.

The problme with the facotry unit is the remote control, functionality and general usefullness.

Special prices for fordXR6Turbo members. Save $$$$ Give us a call!

Cheers

ASLTech

WWW.FORDUPGRADES.COM.AU

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member For: 16y 5m 5d

I'd recommend a portable unit myself, $500 tom tom (ie top model) will bluetooth to your phone etc, and even show you your messages. I bought my FG XR6T as an ex ford "demo", so it came with sat nav, and I have to say I find it rather annoying. It's slow, and it gives some pretty stupid directions. It's also not as simple to update as an external unit which can simply be plugged into a PC. I have a Tom Tom which I got as a present before my car... it's definitely better functionality and customisability (I don't think that's a word) wise.

All that said, I do agree that there is something about the factory unit, it is handy, especially with the whole integration thing, but the remote sucks, for $2.2K you'd expect a touchscreen. Also be sure to keep spare batteries as you can not do anything with the sat nav without the remote. When I first got the car the batteries in the remote where dead and it kept coming up with a warning about using it while driving which I couldn't get rid of.

My GPS is also quite slow when it comes to calculating routes... needs an SD card with roads only for the state you're in, or at least the option to change which states it searches for suburbs etc.

• Sucker
  • Moderating Team
  • Member For: 19y 11m 26d

I just use the GPS in my phone, a bit primitive but downloads the latest whereis maps on the fly so no drama with roads being out of date. Only issue it has is trying to start navigating while moving takes ages...but then you'd never do that anyway :crybaby:

Doesn't have all the super duper features that a fully fledged GPS unit has but it does the job for occasional use.