Caution Fg Brake Upgrade

tinyplums

• Member For: 15y 7m 16d

The super pro set is the go. It really puts more feeling into the wheel.

Did you only fit the SuperPro upper bushes, or have you fitted the lower ones too?

Have you noticed any additional NVH caused by the stiffer bushes, as well as the increased feel?

And yes, the upper brackets fitted to the body do look rather weak.

Edited by FGXR6TUTE

Guest XR09
  • Guests

Yes I replaced the upper and lower and radial. As many as super pro had out at the time.

We had most of the front in bits and a few of the OEM's were already shagged or showing signs of wear @15,000. So while it was out and easy.

Yes there is increased NVH. Not a huge difference but yes. Bumps and ruts are no louder than STD. I would say it increased the tire roar a bit. I am running Tein coilovers as well. So they help out big time. Quite impressive for a Jap damper.

But all that will depend on what you set your ride hight at. And spring rate. I keep mine at 35cm and it's really good on the road. If I go below that it gets to firm and will not perform to it's best on our wonderful roads. It can get quite snappy at the rear if I go to stiff, but I have been trying to get more steering out of it.

Wish I could post a pic but I keep getting a 406 error code.

When the upper control arm bushes came I took them and the retaining bolt to a hardware and found the washers I needed there. I think about 30c each. Mine are about 2mm shotr of the circumference of the bush. And about 2mm wide. I have one on either side of the bush. So 8 all up for the front upper control arms.

The mounts for these bushes are not great and there are a lot of sharp edges in there. And quite a gap from the bush to the bracket That was the reason I fitted the washers in the first place.

I didnt have my brakes on then.

Somthing about somthin doing it right the first time.

Edited by XR09

• 1 month later...
  • Member For: 15y 7m 16d

I installed the SuperPro upper bushes Thursday night as the vibration problem seemed to get worse and more common in the hotter weather. The OE bushes had been doing a fair bit of back and forth movement as witnessed by the shiny marks on the inside edges of the brackets.

So far a touch more vibration noticed on coarse roads, steering feels a little more direct particularly just off centre, and no vibration while braking.

The OE bushes can be pressed out of the arm, and in fact are a rubber bush with alloy centre sleeve moulded in a plastic outer sleeve, yes plastic.

• 4 months later...
  • Member For: 16y 3m 6d

FG,

Some good points raised. Got me thinking.

IMO, the plastic outer is not so bad considering it is "housed" in it's respective harder bore and the bore is what provides the structural integrity. The rubber could bear directly against the bore (as BF's do, and most poly bushes do) and there would be no difference. Besides, the rubber has far more give/plasticity (or slop) than plastic. Probably there to just make them easier to install. Now plastic on the inner would concern me. And if the bush has voids in it.....well hmmmmmmmm.

I am thinking that the vibe is caused by the bush hunting/pulsing axially as it really has no firm control over the upright as the brakes are applied. The discs would then experience small changes speed causing the vibe. NO road or disc/pad combination is billiard table smooth. Poly bushes have much more control and probably why the vibe has disappeared??????

These cars can generate >0.5g on cornering, I don't see how they couldn't easily exceed it with some Brembo's and good rubber. The bush in this case is actually in a far worse position as it only has the diagonal (partial) faces of the bush to control axial movement, not the full length and diameter as in-plane cornering loads would impose. And radial voids if they have them (Pat?) are hopeless at constraining fore and aft movement.

FPV fitting the washers and not at least compressing the rubber to increase it's effective durometer will ultimately fail to solve this issue. They SHOULD know better. They should just bight the bullet like you have and fit different and more applicable bush material that can take the increased loads. A bit of included graphite would also give them some lubricity as an added safeguard.

Rubber is cheap, easy to use and quiet. These cars can be damn quick. I think the killer (or main differnce) to a normal T brake combo is the extra force and rate of force that the Brembo's generate on the unsupported upper bushes.

Edited by Smoke them tyres

• Member For: 16y 3m 6d
And yes, the upper brackets fitted to the body do look rather weak.

Depends what they are made out of. The FG ones look "lighter" than BA/F's, but I think the metal strength/spec has been upgraded. I took a bit of a guess at what that is, did a few calcs and figure they have about a 150% safety/tear margin. That from my knowledge is about the usual safety margin a manufacturer would apply.

Could be wrong though..... :getlost:

• 4 weeks later...
  • Member For: 17y 10m 1d

My FG Super Pursuit started this creaking noise the last few weeks even though the packing shims were fitted as per Bunna's post, Ford have a new control arm to rectify this problem, a pair have been ordered for my car but will not be available until around the end of the month.

• 6 months later...
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 13y 6m 10d

I upgraded my fronts to Brembo 6 pots and rears to bigger PBRs about 6000km ago.

I've got this exact issue with my front left brake. It never does it with the right. :crybaby:

Has anyone who's had arms replaced experienced the vibration again?

I can get a set of arms easily, but don't wanna get them unless it definitely fixes the problem... :dontknow:

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 3m 24d

Hey bud, just change the upper control are bushes to super pro like I did . Fixed the problem straight away and hasnt come back even after 40K.

• 1 month later...