Caution Fg Brake Upgrade

tinyplums

• Member For: 15y 8m 7d

Bunna, thanks for your response, much appreciated.

However could you advise more precisely where this 100mm dia. washer goes? You say it's longevity is rather short, I assume it's not made of steel but from a poly material, perhaps it slips in between the arm and the brackets which bolt to the inner guard, I assume to effectively stiffen the apper bushes?

post-24844-126334032294_thumb.jpg

Guest XR09
  • Guests

What has me thinking the most is why in the first place????

If you have a brake shudder on a new car, you work your way out from, balance & alighnment, then rotor. then bushes etc.?

Like I am not sure and no expert, but I had 6 pot's on my bike, and I ended up with a front brake shudder after about 12,000k's. It ended up being the pad pins wearing. And these are floaters. It was ridden hard, and did at least twenty laps of track days a month. So abused, but pampered after.

I might be wrong but a brake shouldn't shudder in the first place. And if it's naturally going to do it, then no matter what you put in or make bigger it will still only be a bandaid if it's not a simple fix.

Has anyone had their rotors ground ?

Does this happen with anyone with aftermarket rotors? and or pads?

Brembo make great bocks but thier rotors are ordinary. Would be interestinig to know.

• Member For: 18y 9m

Any bushes or spacers you place between the upper arm brackets and the inner guard will ultimately affect the wheel alignment specs of the vehicle, for its at this point that changes are usually made (Barring the use of screw-type camber/castor adjusters) This is getting more interesting all the time..

Mal K

PS Are you able to purchase these new upgraded 6spot upper arms?

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 17y 7m 24d

Installing this spacer will not affect wheel alignment (and by that you mean camber/castor - toe is adjustable from the tie rod ends) by your own definition - this spacer is not installed between the upper suspension mounts and the chassis. See the pic below - the critical contribution to castor comes from the position of the upper arms to the chassis (black arrow), and the FPV washer is applied with the upper arm bush on the other side (white arrow).

post-9507-126337421729_thumb.jpg

Thanks again Bunna for your explanation, I can see now the washer idea is/was a patch job.

The new "FPV unique" replacement upper arm... It will be interesting to have a look at one, however I can only assume the bush end will be different to accomodate a different size or style of bush, any other change will alter the geometry.

I see SuperPro have a replacement upper inner control arm bush set for the FG (part no. SPF3226F) which possibly may be worth a try.

XR09 makes a valid point re. different pad / rotor combos, however I would assume that Prodrive would have looked at that rather than casting a new arm(s).

Guest XR09
  • Guests

kewl

I have already replaced those bushes with superpro. And luckily made up spacers for either end of those bushes. We saw that it was weak when we tested the suspension. And the bush is larger than what it rests on. So we made them as big as the bush. Mine were shagged at 15,000 with std brakes.

I have been sitting on a pair of 6/4's waiting to put them on, but was hoping a fix would come up first. Before I found out I was one of the lucky ones with the dreaded Vibration.

Stopped at the local dealer while out today. Both 6 pot FPV's in the showroom had the washers as discussed.

Spoke to spare parts, nothing mentioned in the parts catalogue at all. Incidentally, you can't buy the upper control arm bushes seperately, you can only buy a complete upper arm assy.

She went and spoke to the service guys and was told that they had only ever installed the washers to 2 offending vehicles, and that only the workshop can order the parts via the FPV rep who has to inspect the offending vehicle first.

The SuperPro bush set is looking good I think.

Guest XR09
  • Guests

The super pro set is the go. It really puts more feeling into the wheel.

I put normal washers either side as big as the bush. If you look at where it sits there are a lot of sharp edges. Quite a big gap there as well to the weak bracket.