Caution Fg Brake Upgrade

tinyplums

• No boost, no bottle, just my foot on the throttle!
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 20y 2m 5d

Mine vibrated like a biatch on the FPV drive day. The instructors were suprised how bad it was as it almost did it every stop when they have a chat.

It did it once at around 100km/h and was noticably worse after the FPV drive day.

I drove to work today and 2 spots that normally cause the shudder resulted in a smooth braking. Hopefully this is now fixed.

For anyone with BA/BF's that have retro fited the FG brakes, I would look to get Nolathane upper control arm bushes as this may also fix the problem.

• Member For: 18y 9m

Ive upgraded many upper control arm bushes in BA/BF Falcons with nolathane type bushes and had good results. When I purchased my Territory Turbo, I went to upgrade immediately but found the Territory upper arm bushes were a different design, with a full metal sleeve pressed thru the arm, which were much firmer than the standard BA/BF stuff. Havent done an FG yet but it would be interesting to see if the bushes were same as the Territory, as much of the FG front architecture owes its design to Territory...

• 2 weeks later...
  • No boost, no bottle, just my foot on the throttle!
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 20y 2m 5d

Ok after a couple of weeks use, I can report the shudder has not returned.

It looks like the fix has fixed the shudder......However, I now have a squeek and clunk fromt he left front.

I am waiting to see if the RHS gets it as well, so I do not need to go back twice for the same problem.

It sounds like a dry bush type squeek :beerchug:

• Member For: 17y 2m 21d

Thanks for the report ZAP.

Well I have racked up @ 3000km on my 6pot Brembo conversion on the XR6T ute. Not even close to being an issue in that time.

I commute and I play (a bit) so give the brakes a bit of a work out.

Mine is late 02/09 build so perhaps there was a bush material change at some time.

Looks like we have to wait and see long term, but it may not be a systemic as first thought.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member For: 15y 2m 17d

Mate

I would ring PBR and ask for there Quality section and talk about your upgrade they supply the master cylinders it could be split in the master cylinder. the ratio of pressure to the frt v rear brakes

gassa

• 5 months later...
  • Member For: 15y 8m 7d

Has anyone had any further advances on this topic of brake vibrations with 6 pot Brembo's?

I've had my 6 pot / 2 pot setup on the ute for ~10k km now and am experiencing the dreaded vibration. The most common is a slight vibration (more noise than actually felt) at slow speeds (eg. car parks) while turning right, and seems to be coming from the RH front wheel. But I have also had a more major vibration at higher speeds (I.e. 60 - 80km/h) while pulling up for traffic lights and in a straight line.

Has anyone with an FPV had their dealer find a fix?

• Member For: 15y 8m 7d

Zap, you said the dealer replaced the upper control arm bushes, however that was not the final fix. Have you had any further experience, did you get the sqeak fixed?

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 17y 7m 24d

The issue is a resonance within the 6 pot brembo calliper that gives a horrible shuddering noise/feeling through the front end. The current fix is a spacer/washer, about 100mm wide and 5 mm thick fitted to each of the upper control arm mounting points.

This washer is installed at FPV, is engineered by prodrive, and has nothing to do with Ford.

Unfortunately, this is not a permanent fix. The washer degrades over time (8000km or so), eventually wearing to the point wear the washers themselves cause a horrible noise through the front end.

The washers themselves are (relatively) easily replaced, service depts should be able to sort this out.

Happily the permanent fix has now come to fruition - unique upper control arms for 6 pot cars. The first of these are being prioritised on a case by case basis to the customers who have basically complained the loudest. My advice would be to contact FPV customer service (the number elludes me - sorry) calling ford will lead you down a longer garden path - best to call FPV from the start.