Caution Fg Brake Upgrade

tinyplums

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 4m 15d

Hi everyone, Yes there is an issue with the 6/4 pot set up with the FG's but it doesnt only effect the aftermarket installs but also the FPV's with 6/4 setup from factory. The shudder comes from the left hand front brakes and usually comes on when you apply the brakes when the road surface is uneven and traveling below 15 k/h. I had my done and experienced the shudder within the first hour. Checked with my mates at spare parts and was told that the booster and master were the same through out the FG range. Spoke to the Service manager were I used to work at and he told me that he had a Black GTP come in that morning with the same problem, and it was the 4th one within the last 2 months. Ford do know of this problem with the FPV's and are working on a fix. I will be calling him back up in 2 weeks to see if there has been any updates from Ford on this issue.

Edited by tpinto

• Sandtrap Motorsport
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 4m 24d

thanks TPINTO :)

guys, the 4 pot REARS and 4 pot FRONTs are not same same.

big diffence... ill get a photo soon enough to show difference

• No boost, no bottle, just my foot on the throttle!
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 20y 2m 4d

Ok mine appears to be the front right (or atleast the front) and happens only at low speed on a left turn under light braking.

Feels like the pads are loose in the calipers or there is a problem with them.

I do not understand why this is a problem as the calipers/disks and pads have been around for over 4 years on the BF and now FG.

• Donating Members

Its the front left hand ABS sensor activating the ABS system. Spoke to Mathew at Race Brakes and he seems to think that it might have something to do with the positioning of the brake calipers( 180 degrees to the rear of the disc , BF's were at an angle to the front of the disc). Either way Ford will have to come up with a fix for the FPV's and Im sure it will also resolve the issue with the aftermarket installations. Im gathering that it will either be a sensor upgrade or tone wheel upgrade or even a new braket so that the caliper wont sit at 180 degrees.

• 2 weeks later...
  • No boost, no bottle, just my foot on the throttle!
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 20y 2m 4d

My shuddering is getting worse.

It is very violent, but it feels more like a vibration rather than the ABS as it is to rapid and less like ABS kicking in.

Is there any more news as I can get the car to do it most times under light braking under 15km/h.

I mentioned it to my dealer and they had not heard of the problem.

It is really starting to annoy me. do you think it is worth a call to 13FRAUD ?

• Donating Members

I see you are from Sydney "ZAP"!get in contact with the dealership in the city , the service dept know of the problem or at least the service manager does.

• Member For: 15y 8m 14d

I havent heard squat back from my dealership, I get a light vibration through the pedal before it happens, sometimes just the peddal bit without the massive vibration. getting on my tits too. not sure what to do either

Edited by tinyplums

• Member For: 15y 8m 6d
Hi everyone, Yes there is an issue with the 6/4 pot set up with the FG's but it doesnt only effect the aftermarket installs but also the FPV's with 6/4 setup from factory. The shudder comes from the left hand front brakes and usually comes on when you apply the brakes when the road surface is uneven and traveling below 15 k/h...

Checked with my mates at spare parts and was told that the booster and master were the same through out the FG range.

I have a stock FG XR6T ute, looking to upgrade to 6 pot front and the single pot PBR rears (which I already have purchased).

My master cylinder is "B227-121", the Super Pursuit ute at the Melb. Motorshow was a B227-129 so there is a difference in master cylinders. On the PBR site http://www.pbr.com.au/shop/all.shtml the utes and sedans are different, (and there's also a manufacturing date range change too), according to that both my ute and the Super Pursuit ute have sedan master cylinders!

The booster was also quite obviously different in design too.

• Moar Powar Babeh
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 18y 6m 26d

Ahhh this thread fills me with nostalga. Takes me back to the days of the early BA's and brake shudder they experinced. Good to see Ford are keeping up the consistancy with there brake issues.

Only Ford could turn Brembo's into shit brakes......... I personally think it is too do with the compound of the pad and the position of the caliper. The suggestion i would make is to shim the caliper so the leading edge of the pad contacts the Disc first. The slighly higher intial pressure on the point stabilises the pad in the caliper and stop the entire face of the pad slapping against the disc and shuddering. When i say shim im taking .5mm tops.

• Donating Members

Lets be fair to Ford here, Ford have a 51% stake in FPV and the other 49% belongs to prodrive. www.prodrive.com This is the mob that takes a standard XT and redevelopes it into a FPV. They do all the engineering and developement that involves FPV and with all their years of experiance especially with the super performance euros you would think that they would of gotten it right with the Brembos on the FGs first time.

And to restate, this problem with the shudder effects FPV's with 6/4 pot from fact ory also so the booster and master have nothing to do with the problem.