Engine Mount

rod.b7

• Member For: 13y 8m 18d

Very old thread revival here but I replaced both engine mounts this time and wanted to report back.

I read widely on how I might do the turbo side mount without taking the car apart and found a few people saying it was possible to remove this mount by first removing the heat shield that sits over this mount to protect it from the turbo. The heat shield is held in place by a clip on the engine mount top bolt.

Well, I'm unsure how you would even get your hands in there to get at the clip. There is zero room, even after I removed the big bottom pipe connecting the turbo to the intercooler.

I tried and tried to remove as little as possible but my man sized hands just could not manage it. So I removed the turbo. Big job first time round - next time I'll be quicker. 

Here is a view of that clip with the turbo out of the way....

vkxuNea.jpg

As can be seen its well rusted on and even with the turbo out of the way I had to use a chisel to cut it to get it off.....

S8067fU.jpg

I needed a breaker bar to get the top nut off this mount too so really not sure how you would do this job without taking out the turbo. 

BUT - I'm happy I did take the turbo out! Seriously!

Once I did finally get it out I noticed that the waste gate was jammed open. The sleeve, that the waste gate assembly is held in place by, had worked its way out of the housing so that the round part that covers the waste gate port was sitting jammed open against the housing. I simply firmly tapped the waste gate shaft and the sleeve and the waste gate assembly shifted back into place allowing the waste gate cover to align with the port and the round waste gate cover to fully close up.

Looking at the following image you can see it's now in the right position and closed. When I noticed it was jammed open, the waste gate was protruding from the turbo housing (a lot more than in this pic obviously). It's funny because I had noticed quite some time back the power wasn't as strong as I had remembered it. Perhaps this was the cause?

B1621s2.jpg

Engine mounts for comparison...

Turbo side quite squashed but still had oil in it 15 years and 140,000 kms old....

cgy8RMJ.jpg

Here is the passenger side that I replaced back in 2011 that I wrote about previously in this thread. Its still looking pretty good. The new one is better looking, quality wise. Straps integrated and held in place with clips which is a much improved design ....

YCXEF6S.jpg

Close up of new one sourced from eBay at $40 delivered...

Vi9Zzlt.jpg

Hope this is helpful.

• Like 2