Stally For 4sp Auto

dan(nthqld)

• Member For: 15y 2m 5d

Hey guys.

Wanna get a stally for my 04 xr6t. Looking at getting a 2800 or 3000. Just want your opinions on whether my gearbox will survive this? Only looking at getting around 260rwkw for it so nothing other the top

Cheers, Daniel

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 9m 25d

If your getting a convertor put in, make sure that you will be running a good trans cooler, because a convertor makes more heat and heat is the main contributer to failed autos...

Also if you are not drag racing at a track its pretty much useless to run a convertor, you cant use it on the street to its full ability...if your using it on the street go for a 2500 stall speed, if your racing it, 2800 is plenty..that's what im running.

As for your question, there is no guarantee even on a built 4 speed that it will last....... with or without a convertor.

Edited by xr6t_ute

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 17y 17d

I currently run a 3000rpm stall convertor in my car. I asked for a 2800 rpm when I first got the auto rebuilt, blew that up, got the stallie and auto rebuilt then told it wasnt a 2800 rpm stallie and was bigger than I thought ( I can launch my car at 3000rpm)

I find that it drives very well on the street imo, it is a little bit dopey at light throttle but its nothing to worry about!!

I also run a PWR trans cooler with a thermo fan also.

though if I had the coin, I would probably get a 2500 - 2800rpm stall convertor installed, so my beast would show a little bit more power and I wouldnt be so iffy about going to other workshops dyno days. in saying that my car currently does consistant 11.6's @ 121mph in the middle of summer.

so im not terribly worried about what the end power figure is on the dyno!

as for your gearbox surviving.... are you planning on getting your gearbox rebuilt in the future??? if you are I wouldnt be terribly worried about putting a stallie in until your box finally gives up the ghost. yes it will decrease the life of your standard auto, though how your tuner sets up your shift pressures, torque limits and how hard you drive it will play an even bigger part as to how long your gearbox will survive.

for the moment, imo, I would be bolting up a trans cooler and fan to help prolong the life of you auto and saving up for a rebuild and stall convertor.

Edited by The_Bogan

• Member For: 15y 2m 5d

hmm ok then thanks for the info. I'm still deciding whether to get the box rebuilt now, or wait till it blows up cause I am unsure of how long I will keep the car for yet

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y 7m 16d

Give Blueboost up your way a call. He seems to have had this sorted out with alot of his times and testing being on standard auto with stall convertor. I think shift patterns is the key also to gearbox longevity.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 17y 17d

if you are/have budgeted for an auto rebuild, get it rebuilt before it blows!!!

you will save yourself a few $$$ because the gearsets are quite pricey to replace.