82degc Thermostat Install

SAPNEN

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 11m 21d

It would be ideal to have the fan come on earlier when the thermostat opens, but you don't have to change it...

After a couple of days of boostn' I have learn't the new characteristics of the car with this thermostat:

bumper to bumper - same temps as norm but takes longer to get hot

boostn' hard - same temps as norm but takes longer to get hot

Cruisen - definately cooler

I think if the fan were to kick in with the thermostat the bumper to bumper temps would definately stay lower than normal, and if you plan on circuit racing it would also be a good idea.

Over all I think because of the way I drive (sometimes erratic, but then calm) the casual driving keeps the car running at a lower temp so when you put your foot down and give it a hard time it takes longer to heat up to the temps of norm where you will loose power...

PS: If you do plan on circuit racing I would get a 77degC High Flow thermostat and drill 2 X 6-8mm holes on the outer edge and have the fan settings changed to kick in at 77degC

Happy Boostn' :spit:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member For: 15y 5m 20d

I am in no way expert on this stuff but have read elsewhere about high flow thermos and drag racing, something along the gist of... The engine should run at a certain temp (hot), as the water cools the block/bore but the heat comes from piston so if it runs too cool, its a bad thing. that's why you don't drive hard til the engine heats up or else causes damage due to heat difference between piston and bore.

High flow thermo is good for drag runs as the heat rises so quickly that the thermo doesn't get a chance to open and circulate water quickly enough thus overheats the bore. So high flow allows the water to circulate earlier and thus when that sudden explosion of heat kicks in run cooler.

So not to poo poo the high flow thermo but just passing on something I read about years ago.... cooler is not necessarily better?

Edited by timbos99

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 11m 21d

Makes sense... :thumbsup:

I guess it depends how you drive, this is why I opted for the 82degC and not the 77degC

HIGH FLOW does not make a huge difference though. If you start drilling holes in the side of the thermostat then maybe...

So overall there are issues here such as;

Heater not as hot (for winter)

Engine TOO cool for combustion chamber temp difference

etc...

It just comes down to if you treat your car nice... DON"T MESS WITH THE TEMP!

If you drive hard, maybe consider doing this mod...

And if you have a tune, check with your trusted tuner before making Thermostat changes.

Its all up to you guys and how you drive...

• 3 months later...
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 18y 6m 4d

I changed mine about 12 months ago and the car would not run properly. I changed it back and forth about three times and each time I put the 82 degrees one back in the car it would cough and splutter when under acceleration. I was told that I would need it tuned to adjust to the new thermostat.

Don't know about other cars but this was the case with mine. Just a heads up if it happens to anyone else.

• Like 1

• Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 18y 9m 17d

You also need to keep in mind that the spark calculation in these engines accounts for engine coolant temp. Ignition timing advance is not just as simple as having one reference from which the ecu reads. Spark calculation takes into account a number of factors such as air temp, coolant temps, commanded AFR etc etc. You change the coolant temp you change the spark. The final spark calculation is adjusted by the knock sensors anyway (for safety) but something to think about!

• 4 weeks later...
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 17y 10m 25d

I have had concerns over the amount of time my xrt was taking to reach operating temerature. The moment you start the car you can feel the radiator getting hot giving an indication that the thermostat is not closed properly. I made mention when the vehicle went in for its 3000k check over service and was told they found a sticking thermosat and replaced it.

Car came back and sill not much difference. Made mention again on the 30k service as was told all was perfectly normal - the car was also shuddering bad when on the brakes and the advisor told when I was booking it in, it was because they were hot spotted from driving to hard. I challenged him to get down on the floor or get the car on a hoist and point out the hot spots on the car which he flat out refused and argued with me...

Changed my "hot spotted" with not a mark on them this weekend to slotted ones with green stuff pads and decided to check the thermostat that was "perfectly ok" I noted that apart from the normal air bleed hole with the jiggler in it, there was another hole that had been drilled into it.

Is this additional hole requred for some reason or anther on the XR6T engine?

post-8821-1247987001_thumb.jpg

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 17y 10m 25d
not sure mate but my stock thermostat out of the F6 has the other hole too.. so I would not be worrying about that..

Thanks for reply. So you are using an aftermarket thermostat now? If you are, does it have the hole? Should we be putting this hole in the aftermarket replacements if they do not? It takes forever to reach operating temp - and for the heater to work!