82degc Thermostat Install

SAPNEN

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 11m 2d

yeah mate aftermarket now.. yes mine has a hole like the standard one.. I would not go modifying by drilling holes.. yeah it will change what temp it will run at so it wont be at the same operating temp like the standard one and take longer to get hot.. but on hotter days it will get upto temp where the standard one got to.. my heater still works fine gets hot enough for my liking..

so have you changed to the 82* thermostat from the standard 92*??

Edited by CHLAXN

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 17y 10m 25d

Still has the 92 in it and it takes forever to warm up on cold mornings. It is that bloody second hole in the thermostat that the factory puts in it. Wonder if it would be ok to buy a 92 or even a 82 without the second hole to promote faster warm up. Understand the first hole is for air bleed, but when all the air is out of the system the little ball floats and blocks the hole. Usually you drill holes in the thermostat to hide another underlying problem.... Does anyone have a thermostat in their T without the 2nd hole?

• Member For: 16y 2m 25d

I just did the headgasket in my car and had a 82deg thermostat in it with the extra hole. I replaced the 82deg thermostat for a hi flow unit and it only has the 1 air bleed hole with the valve in it. The car warms up alot quicker now without the second hole as its not circulating the water until the thermo opens. I didnt think any stock thermostats come with the second hole drilled in it as yeah people usually do it for some reason or another. Oh and yeah your better off getting the fans adjusted to suit the thermostat as I wouldnt think too much variation in operating temp would be a good thing. A steady operating temp that may rise or fall say 4deg is much better than a 10-12 degree difference going up and down all the time.

• Member For: 19y 20d
Does anyone have a thermostat in their T without the 2nd hole?

I pulled my original 92deg thermostat out of my T a while ago and it's the same with the 2nd hole etc too. I replaced it with a highflow 82deg one, which only has 1 smaller hole with the float. Since I changed it, I was actually seeing slightly higher coolant temps on the ford gauge, just below half instead of 3/4. So this weekend I've drilled a couple of holes to see if that brings the temp down. The coolant mix make a difference too, and I dilluted it with distilled water as I think I put too much concentrate in when I last changed. I'm more interested in making things cooler, more so with oil temp, and water temp will affect that. Obviously I don't want it too cool, so I'll see how it goes for now.

Ben

• Member For: 19y 20d
I was actually seeing slightly higher coolant temps on the ford gauge, just below half instead of 3/4.

Ooops instead of 3/4, I meant 3/4's of half if you know what I mean, so equally between 1/4 and half. Drove to work (13kms) this morning and temps were back to normal again between 1/4 and half. After 7kms water temp reached this normal level after lesuirely driving.

Ben

• 4 weeks later...
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 17y 10m 25d

Fitted a standard 92 degree thermostat. The engine is running no hotter than what it was with the factory "drilled" thermostat even towing double jet ski trailer. It is up to temp now in less than 2km vs 15km+ for the factory fit... :roflmbo:

• Member For: 21y 25d

The cars of today are programmed to run at a specific temperature. For example when the Expensive Daewoo Astra thermostat fails (when it sticks open), the ECU will throw a fault code because it is programmed to know that it is taking too long to warm up. The reason why this is important is for emissions.

I don't know the Ford programming well enough, but chances are that its more than just the cooling fans settings that need adjustment. You may be keeping the car in the cold start enrichment for much longer than need be. Someone who tunes these ECUs should be able shed more light on this.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 years later...
  • Member For: 13y 6m 13d

What's the normal actual temp for these on a cool/cold night highway running. I recently changed coolant to a non glyco type (don't need anti-freeze in QLD) for better contact wetting on the passage walls, which has helped but perhaps too much. 10deg last night 100km/hr and it was just under 1/4 on the gauge (BFii). A far as I know it's the stock thermostat. Using ODBII coolant temps in these situations now can only high 60deg'sC which seems to low? Thoughts?

Perhaps thermostat isnt' closing properly or has the extra hole as mentioned in some stockers, with the different coolant it's too good at high speed no load?

• Menace
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 13y 3d

I had a 72deg. Tstat at one stage and it would be a bees dick under ther the1/4 mark in the same cold conditions.

Now the 82 high flow (wank wank) is roughly a needle width over the 1/4 in cold conditions. Not really an answer for ya more just a comparison.