Fix For Preventing Flex Plate Bolts Loosening

turbotrana

• Member For: 21y 25d

I know some have resorted to welding the bolts to keep them on. I ended up making this for myself and I am sure it would be useful for anyone experiencing flex plate bolts loosening.

I have done this for another engine that would vibrate the crank bolts off and it solved this problem. However it has not yet been thoroughly tested on the Ford I6 but in principle should work.

Basically it is a plate that reinforces the centre of the flex plate.

Then you have some locking washers that are made of aluminium that lock onto the head of the crankbolts in different positions. You basically position these so that two of the bolts lock against each other so that they can never come lose.

A slot has to be cut onto the bolt for a circlip to hold onto the locking plate. Otherwise the locking tab could be made in steel so that they are tig welded to the plate

The plates and locking tabs are a perfect tight fit all laser cut.

If this may help anyone PM me and I can organise the plate and locking plate, but the cutting of the slot in the bolt you will have to do yourself

post-822-1233969637_thumb.jpg

Edited by turbotrana

• Member For: 17y 3m 10d

Great bit of work there.

Use to have some old ford crossflows that would always work the flywheel bolts loose.

I tried arp bolts with loctite

that didn't work so tack welds on each bolt head to flywheel.

another easy option is to drill bolt heads from sides and link them together with some HT wire.