Intercooler Remove And Spray

SAPNEN

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 10m 24d

Ok I noticed no one has put pics up of this... which wasn't much help to me yesterday, so hopefully this helps others. :spoton:

You will need: 13mm spanner (intercooler bracket nuts)

Phillips head srewdriver (all those fun plastic screws... yay)

6mm socket (under tray screws)

7mm socket (pipe clamps)

10mm socket (I think its a 10, for between the head light bolts)

socket extension arm

lots of patients and small hands (intercooler bracket nuts, plastic srews)

loud music and a couple of scotches...

I started with removeing all the screws in the undertray, don't forget the 1 in the centre on the rear. Also the 2 plastic screws at each end are a pain but will push back in ok later even if you give them a hard time pullen em out...

post-15450-1233699645_thumb.jpg

There is 1 metal screw and 2 plastic which you need to remove, turn your wheel to get to it easier.

post-15450-1233699969_thumb.jpg

There are 2 tech screws in these holes behind number plate

post-15450-1233699838_thumb.jpg

Ok, remove the 2 plastic screws from the top grill ( I hope you have your bonnet open..!) and pull up, there are 3 plastic tabs at the bottom of the grill so be gentle when lifting out.

Remove the 4 plastic screws holding the plastic shroud and pull out, there is a clip in the centre holding it down so remove gently.

Now finally you should see these 2 metal hex head screws inner from the head lights, remove them.

post-15450-1233700138_thumb.jpg

Now you might want someone to help with this so as to not let the front spoiler hit the ground, failing that leave 1 screw in loosly. Pull spoiler out from the wheel arch on both sides and it should be free

post-15450-1233700719_thumb.jpg

Disconnect the fog lamp plugs

post-15450-1233700897_thumb.jpg

post-15450-1233701210_thumb.jpg

Now there are 2 brackets holding the intercooler in with 4 bolts, release the pipe clamps, and pull the pipes out of the way. Remove the 4 nuts holding the cooler (this is where you need patients and small hands). Pull the intercooler down (right side first) and gently remove it with out putting pressure on the A/C radiator fins (what I'm saying here is do not bend any cooling fins on anything!)

post-15450-1233701282_thumb.jpg

post-15450-1233701601_thumb.jpg

Now with your cooler removed give it a spray, I went for silver. It only needs a light spray, don't go over board and block the cooling fins. I also only painted the front...

post-15450-1233701680_thumb.jpg

Now working in reverse from before put the cooler back in and it should look like this... Don't over tighten the pipe clamps.

post-15450-1233701762_thumb.jpg

Put everything back together, the front spoiler will go back on easily, don't forget to reconnect the fog lights. Put your grill back on etc. If you end up with spare srews you have failed as a man and need to take a good hard look at yourself! :bopp:

post-15450-1233701818_thumb.jpg

I think the cooler would be more noticeable without a lower grill or if the lower grill were black but meh... I like it!

post-15450-1233702012_thumb.jpg

Have fun :spoton:

Edited by SAPNEN
  • Like 3

• No boost, no bottle, just my foot on the throttle!
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 20y 1m 14d

Thanks for taking the time to write this up :spoton:

• TEAM BA
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 19y 3m 20d

good work mate, maybe re name the thread "how to remove the front bar" and make it a sticky somewhere.. its alot more usefull then the current title

• CNUTOX
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 21y 2m 22d

There is an easier way to do the stone tray. Undo the single bolt in the centre at the back, and then remove the bar as listed. This way you don't need to undo 8 or 10 screws and it gives the bar something to sit on.

• Donating Members
There is an easier way to do the stone tray. Undo the single bolt in the centre at the back, and then remove the bar as listed. This way you don't need to undo 8 or 10 screws and it gives the bar something to sit on.

Nice one! Wish I had'v done it that way :blink:

• Donating Members
good work mate, maybe re name the thread "how to remove the front bar" and make it a sticky somewhere.. its alot more usefull then the current title

don't know how...

• Like 1