In The Blink Of An Eye

phantomchic

• Just because it is, doesn't mean it should be.....
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 19y 6m 17d

I was heading home through the suburb; (less than 6 mins from the front door). Its freak hour 4.15ish, so am focused, heading through a roundabout, see dude on pushbike on the left heading same direction as me, travelling approx 25ish kmh. APPARENTLY not, he suddenly turns right and being as there is no spare road, ploughs into the passenger side front guard, does a rather spectacular roll on the bonnet toward the windscreen (my daughter is now face to face with him), I hit the anchors and as I do he rolls back the other way onto his bike, topples a bit and hops off. (It’s like a slow motion movie).

We are out the car to check he is ok; he assures me he is and proceeds to leave. I oppose this rather strongly (now holding up traffic), and convince him to head to a car park near by. I call the police and he no understandy (here on a 3 month visa to learn English), still wants to continue on his journey because he says he is ok, even though he has admitted fault to the damage to my car.

The police arrive some 30mins later, they were pleasant and handled everything professionally and explained the road rules to the dude and advise him to get a check up, he won’t. They breathalyse me – a perfect 0! In retrospect why didn’t they breathalyse him??

I am declared not at fault. Call the insurance co. (NRMA) and they are on the ball immediately about 20mins on the phone to make the claim, NIL excess and no Loss of no claim bonus, and check with me if I am happy with their preferred Repairer, turns out to be where my son works, so they have sent the log sheet in already, I take the Beast in tomorrow, then I’m to call them back with dates for the hire car.

Damage to Phantom: - Front passenger side panel, left hand side of front bar, not sure on the bonnet yet.

Moral of the story:

It can happen in an instant sooooooo ALWAYS be vigilant.

Its one thing to collide with a car but with an unprotected human is whole different story. Cars are much easier to fix. Very lucky that speed wasn’t a factor, not even the speed limit.

I am more than glad he is ok (just a bit of shock), I reckon he should buy a lotto ticket.

My daughter and I were a bit shaken up but several cups of tea sorted that.

So please folks Take care on the road and like the old saying goes

Be ALERT coz the world needs lerts!!

Shaz

KillarneyCruiseJan2009082.jpg

KillarneyCruiseJan2009083.jpg

KillarneyCruiseJan2009084.jpg

KillarneyCruiseJan2009085.jpg

• Bored Member
  • Administrator
  • Member For: 21y 4m 15d

Bugger Shaz. :huh:

did he get up?....after you kicked the living :blush: out of him...

Make sure your young bloke knows its an FPV Phoon bar he has to replace on the front wont you.... :thumbsup:

• <put funny sh*t here>
  • Member For: 17y 4m 20d

funny you mentioned that.

I was driving tonight in the dark, going around this rather blind corner, and some young kid on a a bike was riding on my side of the road, but towards me on the inside of my lane. If I was hugging the road a bit closer to the inside then I would have hit him head on, at 60 kph!

hope it all gets sorted out easily and hassle free

• Go Pies!!!
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 1m 12d

Hey PC.... Lucky all turned out ok!

Im sure the rider would have had to buckle a wheel from that one... and well in a case like this I can say... some bike riders are just simply not able to ride for sh*t.... glad he was on a bike and not in a car...

Nice work and lucky with the car going to your sons shop!

good score on that one!

Well hope is all get sorted, bar respray, bonnet respray, repair (or maybe even replace) 1/4 panel and spray and blend all areas effected and near by panels... and ull be back and running in no time...

Bike rider - well, he wont be welcome in any riding groups were in! Stupid fool! Just glad he will live to fight another car some other day!

Glad the nerves have chilled out for you as well... :thumbsup:

• BOOST
  • Moderating Team
  • Member For: 20y 6m 24d

No not the beast... NOT THE BEAST!!!!!

Shaz good to hear that all involved are ok. I know in NSW you cant breath test a bike rider cause they are not a "driver"

Might be the same in QLD.

• Still have a turbo, it's just on a diesel.
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 18y 8m 22d
Nice reflection in the third pic

:thumbsup:

Almost up there with the Ebay tea kettle. :3gears: