High Stall Converters

JETURBO

• ...JD TUNING ADELAIDE...
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 10m 25d

hey blokes havn a read through some of the past threads and just tryin to get a better idea of what high stall is best for me with the help of u guys.

so here goes its a 04 xr6t with the std auto (just died) so iam gettin a new box built at s.a race in adelaide. the bloke there recomends I go a 3000r.p.m dominator at the same time hes making the box tuff as nails with all the usuall trick bits and pieces kevlar clutches and modified solinoids. now my turbo is making 314rwkw with a mildly agressive tune and dont plan on having much more power than this maybe 320 tops. this is the issue I have its 90% shopping car with the wife behind the wheel and 10% me giving it hell on wekends and maybe once or twice down the drags (if they ever open) and ive been hearing lots of horror stories like it will be hard to drive at low speeds and such.

so I dont want to waste the opportunity to have a high stall put in while I can because I know if I dont get it ill kick my self later now whats the best path should I take

dominator, TCI, modified stock..........then the stall...............2800, 3000, or any other

would love to hear any experiances ppl have had not just guessing please

• Forged Member
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 17y 2m 18d

2700 seems to work really well on these cars, the lower the stall, obviously the better for driveability. If you only throw it down the drag strip once in a blue moon you won't need a big converter.

• Gold Donating Members

see this is where iam confused had some blokes say the 3000 is the best and driveability not to bad as a daily and then also heard that the 2700-2800 is just a stock converter modified and best is a custom built high stall??? just want to get the right one the first time

yes wife f*cks everything so that's ok use to it now weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Edited by Turbo Jet

• Gold Donating Members

hahahah yes I did read this and further confused me hahah well it seems like he went through what I dont want to anyway is this not a sure fire up grade should I not even bother and just keep the stock one? why hasnt there been more of this type of mod am I missing something?

• Forged Member
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 17y 2m 18d

I'm pretty sure steph got what he was after, TCI sorted it out and he's cranking some big power through it too. Give him a PM and I'm sure he'll put you onto the right people

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 17y 22d

when I first got my box rebuilt at kewish, I got them to put in a 2800rpm stall convertor as they said that it would be ideal for my car, 2004 Mk1 XR6T. I wouldnt have a clue on what brand it is.

ive recently had it rebuilt again with an auto shop that's a little bit closer to home and they sent the stallie off to be rebuilt as I did some damage to that, and they said that it wasnt a 2800 rpm stallie, though ive never had an issue with it.

I recommend going with a 2800rpm stall convertor. when I first drove my car with a stallie, I noticed that it was a little bit more sluggish than standard, but its seriously nothing to worry about on the street. and I recon that your mrs will not have an issue using it as a shopping trolley.

when I take my beast to the drags, I manage to stall her up to exactly 3000rpm with the handbrake and footbrake on, and around the 2700 mark just using the footbrake. best 60ft time ive had so far is a 1.78

• Member For: 16y 8m 2d

I have a 2500 convertor in... the car is daily use ... under normal driving its fine buts sits around the 2k mark on take off, but when I stall it up it sits directly on 2500.. I do suffer from traction when I do this though as I dont have TC.. on the free way there is no problems at all