Fg Blown Head Gasket 2000km

HUSTLER

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Member For: 15y 3m 5d

I dont know what all the drama's about. My FG F6 went in for a 3000km service and Ford told me that the bolts on the timing casing were wrong and needed to be slightly shaved then put back in. Fixed the "minor" leak that was there, and I mean minor!

• Member For: 16y 1m 17d
You can speculate all you like but you didn't see the leak so you have no idea how bad it was or wasn't.

A qualified tradesman did and made a judgement call in his/her experience that it would be ok. End of story.

If it was looking like a roadworthy issue I doubt they would have let it go as if something happened then they would be legally responsible for letting an unroadworthy car back onto the streets.

Like I said, it doesn't matter how bad it was or wasn't. The simple fact is, a car that leaks fluid of any sort, in any quantity, is unroadworthy. No one can tell you it's not, and it's not up to the individual technician to decide whether the car is safe or not... Our governments have already made that decision for us, whether it's right or wrong.

I don't exactly agree with the policy, and have driven plenty of cars that leak oil, but your mechanic knows better than to send you away in an unroadworthy vehicle, unless you asked to hold on to the car.

• It's not a MKI!
  • Member For: 15y 10m 5d
Like I said, it doesn't matter how bad it was or wasn't. The simple fact is, a car that leaks fluid of any sort, in any quantity, is unroadworthy. No one can tell you it's not, and it's not up to the individual technician to decide whether the car is safe or not... Our governments have already made that decision for us, whether it's right or wrong.

I don't exactly agree with the policy, and have driven plenty of cars that leak oil, but your mechanic knows better than to send you away in an unroadworthy vehicle, unless you asked to hold on to the car.

Of course it matters how bad it was or wasn't.

What you deem as an oil leak, I might deem as residue.

It comes down to the individual who said it was ok to drive.

If they deemed it unroadworthy they wouldn't have let the owner drive away in it without letting them know their opinion would they?

You might want to look underneath your car when it has been running for a bit with the air con on and find that it 'leaks fluid'. That doesn't make it unroadworthy does it?

Yeah yeah, I know I'm getting picky but my point is, if a qualified tradesman deemed it safe to use then it was his/her call. Not anyone elses. If the owner of the vehicle was not happy with that call then he could have asked for a second opinion or refused to drive it until the 'fluid leak' was repaired.

As for a technician not being able to make a call on whether a car is safe to drive or not...... Fair suck of the sav mate. Tradesmen go to a lot of effort and do a lot of training to obtain a trade certificate that deems them competent to be able to make those sorts of calls. That's why they're called tradesmen. And it is the Government that issues those trade certificates.

• Member For: 17y 3m 2d
Yeah mate. Master tech at a ford dealer in Melbourne. We have lots of bfs and territorys leaking oil from the timing covers as they use only sealant instead of gaskets. Ba falcons ran gaskets and had hardly any timing cover leaks. Havent had to crack an fg engine apart yet but I am sure it wont be long as these oil leaks around the front of the engines are becoming pretty common. If I had one I wouldnt be too happy that a brand new car has a oil leak either but if its not leaking on the floor and they are going to fix it under warranty I would be happy.

Can you retrofit the BA gasket onto the BFs? I've got an F6X and obviously this is the same as a BF engine. I've just had the 30k service done and they didn't find anything wrong with it. I might have to have a look tonight to make sure there isn't any leaks as I don't really trust my dealer.