FG-Speaker Sizes

MR XR8

• Member For: 15y 6m 24d

Great effort and well done! I had a poke and a look around when I fitted new speakers into my ute also. You've done exactly what I had planned to do in the not too distant future. I'm convinced the improvements in SQ and noise dampening are going to be bloody good given the dynamat treatment.....so am I right? :)

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Member For: 15y 7m 17d

Absolutely, big gains to be had. It's just like driving a G6ET now. I did the whole back wall, and even dropped the head lining and stuck a sheet on the inside of the roof (again just bare tin). When you shut the door it sounds like a Lexus :-)

Although I'm not convinced the doors are really an issue, when you tap on the outside skin they now sound "tinny" in comparison to the roof and rear, so when I've got time I'll probably do them too (and change the front speakers).

• 6 months later...
  • Member For: 14y 9m 10d

Im looking at doing this to my ute over the next couple of weeks and have a couple of questions.

Which thickness Dynaliner did you use?

Are your back vent still working well (with AC on)?

Is there much sound improvement with the speakers?

How hard is it to get the roof down without damaging the lining?

Thanks for your help in advance.

• Member For: 15y 7m 17d
Which thickness Dynaliner did you use?

Are your back vent still working well (with AC on)?

Is there much sound improvement with the speakers?

How hard is it to get the roof down without damaging the lining?

Hi Mick,

I used 6mm (1/4") dynaliner which is probably the max. you could get away with. The rear wall trim doesn't quite sit as far back as it used to but has no ill effect, I.e. it's only me that would notice, it doesn't look wrong or anything.

Back vents... When you switch the HVAC to recirc you can definitely notice the fan change and hear the extra air move so I guess it is slightly restrictive. It doesn't seem to effect the way it works though.

I believe the speakers are much better, but it depends on your expectations. When you remove the OE speaker you'll see why even a tin can would sound better. One day I'll get around to replacing the front speakers as well, with some dynamat on the inside of the door and maybe one of those Focal self contained subs under the passengers seat.

Roof trim is fiddly, not hard. Keep your hands clean. You need to remove the A pillar trims, sunvisors, clips, rear hooks, rear light, etc. The front light stays with the lining from memory.

• Member For: 15y 2m 12d
Dunno. I didn't get my tape measure out when I gutted them, but they are in between a 6" and 6 1/2".

They are part of a special mount that is tilted in towards the driver as well,which is a nice touch I think.

Why not check the owners manual phantm? :nerd8: