Hid Kit Install

senna_T

• Forged Member
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 17y 2m 16d

Thanks mate - as I said, its not rocket science, you just have to look at the whole project first rather than rush into it!

Mick - no NHRA :-( - its all on bloody Foxtel Hi-Def now, rip-off

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• XXR.64T
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 18y 10m 21d

hey pat

are you able to post pics of the lights on when its dry (if it ever stops raining in sydney)......

also do you know if they sell kits for the fog lights and how much if they do...

• Forged Member
  • Lifetime Members

Yeah mate, bloody rain is not stopping out here today!

You can get a kit for the fog lamps, its a H7or H3 bulb I think... You might need someone to install the fog lamp ones though, cos the housing of the fog lamp could make it tricky

• Member For: 17y 1m 3d
this guide is still useful for the lo kit, just ignore the first bit regarding the small halogen that you have to remove.

So the kit you installed was a Hi/Lo kit? Do these have the ability to dip/raise the beam?

I really wanted to retain high beam Pat. I know you have stated lo kit only but is the Hi/Lo kit available?

I know you are saying the standard hi beam is redundant but the ability to focus these HIDs further up the road would be a huge advantage for those of us who really need to have good light to dodge roos, goats or cattle on dark country roads with no steet lights like the ones on your pics.

• Forged Member
  • Lifetime Members

I can get a "bi-xenon" kit now craig, made a call and sorted it out. $240 posted. I haven't done an install on this kit, so I'm not sure what is involved over and above the normal kit.

• Bored Member
  • Administrator
  • Member For: 21y 5m 9d

I'm gunna close this one until after the group buy's finished, save ppl asking the same questions over and not seeing the answers before they ask....

:blink:

• 2 months later...
  • Moar Powar Babeh
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 18y 7m

Hi Guys,

I just want to share some of my experience with HID's, hopefully i will shed some light.....:spit:

on the topic and make i easier for you guys to decide which ones to get.

Firsty a little background on the falcon headlamps, They run a HI/LO main beam and a second aux lamp.

They use a mutli focal reflector that is designed to reflect the light correctly from the appropriate filament and maximies the light reflection and the location the light is projected to.

The aux lamp (the two inner lamps) come on with the hi beam as well.

If you are going to install HID's in your car IMHO the BEST way style to go for is a 4500k single filament main headlamp beam and a single filament aux beam.

If you run Bi-Xenon (moving filament) units in the main beam you will wind up with either excellent low beam and crap hi or vice versa. In low beam the lights are okay as the reflector can still capture most of the light. In high beam the light is deflected to the sides up and. this mean to restore Hi Beam you will need to adjust the head lamps down. Once you do this you will shorten the projection range in low beam so while you'l be able to see the road really clear a few metres in front of your car beyond that you will have less light then a normal halgoen

If you dont adjust the for hi beam, hi beam will deflect light upwards and outwards and if you run anything higher than 6000k you will get excess reflection of light back to your eyes. This makes your retina's contract so even though you have "more" light you eyes are able to use less of it and in some of the higher K rating the UV output is enought to damage your eyes.

Well adjusted low bean 4500k single filament Mains and a set of 4500k single filament aux globe will give you more usable light than before. 4500k is very good for glarey conditions (ie street signs, road markings,wet roads.) 6000k is good for dust penetration if you live in the sticks.

The wiring in a BA/BF would need to be modifed so that the original Low beam filament stays on when the "high" beam is turn on. This should only mean a relay swap or possibly a jumper wire.

When you turn the high beam on all you are basically doing is turn on the AUX lamps which because the arent mulit focal reflector with throw a massive amount of light out.

I have spent a bit of time with a mate of mine working through this using his Hella Head lamp adjusting machine at his business, as he was selling some high $ HID conversions to 4wd and Late model car owners and getting complaints that they are worse than normal lamps, its very very important for your own safety and that of other drivers that the Lamps are adjusted correctly when HID's are installed to avoid A: not enough useable light for you and B: dangerous amounts of Glare for other drivers.

any questions guys shoot me PM so we don't clog up Pat's thread anymore.

Luke :w00t2:

• Member For: 15y 5m 7d

Luke that's exactly what I was thinking of doing but someone pointed out that the HIDs take a while to fire up. Is that something you just have to live with?

• Still have a turbo, it's just on a diesel.
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 18y 9m 16d

Finally got around to fitting my kit.

When I hooked the the kit up to the original loom I connected the red wire to the Red/black of the OE plug, but in testing tonight found that the HIDS would drop out when I switched to hi beam.

I think I may have to connect the red to the 3rd wire in the plug the orange/green wire, so that the HIDs stay on when the Hi beams are on

The standard bulbs have two elements so I would say they dim when hi beam is on.

anyone confirm this?

I will do some more testing tomorrow and see how it goes

post-6916-1235477737_thumb.jpg

post-6916-1235477763_thumb.jpg

• Forged Member
  • Lifetime Members

This is normal Brad, when you push the stalk forward the low beam lamos go out and the hi's come on. IF you simply pull the stalk back and hold both lamps will stay on