Changing Instrument Cluster

Azzman460

• Azzman
  • Member For: 15y 8m 6d

Hey guys, I am planning on taking out my engine and gearbox to replace them with a turbo engine and 6 speed manual gearbox.

I was thinking I would like to take out the cluster and replace it with a FPV or even another XR cluster set on 0kms, so I have 2 seperate clusters with the correct amount of kms for each engine and gearbox.

Does anybody know if its possible to set an old cluster to 0kms? I have a turbo PCM to replace the N/A PCM so the car will be getting re-flashed to work with the new turbo PCM so a new cluster could also be flashed with the car then.

Any ideas?

Is the engine going in brand new? If not, it's illegal to put a different cluster in AFAIK??

You can't reset a BA/F cluster regardless. They can only be done before they hit 100km...

• Azzman

well its going in fully rebuilt with new pistons and rods and all the other gear. So I would have to leave my original cluster in and there is no way around this? or I would have to do an inhale/exhale to my other cluster?

Pretty sure it's illegal to put a new cluster in unless it's gonna display the same kms. Just because the pistons/rods are new, the block, crank, head etc aren't, either is the rest of the car.

• Member For: 16y 3m 20d

It is illegal to alter the reading on a speedo, but it is not illegal to fit a speedo to a car that has less k's. e.g your car has 30000kms you put a cluster in with 12000k, this is legal. You can not legaly change a cluster's km reading. With the right program you can reset a cluster reading regardless of km's but, this again IS ILLEGAL.

Edited by Tree Monkey

• Azzman

ok then, so I can just put this cluster in and go regardless of the kms?

I have no intention of lying about the kms, its just so I can record how many kms each engine and gearbox has done.

I May just do an inhale/exhale to the new cluster and keep the same amount of kms travelled for the entire car.

On a seperate note, will a BA FPV GT cluster fit into a BF MKII ok without having and programming problems??

• ORSM Ford Cruisers!
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 18y 9m 28d

It is illegal to have change the odometer of a vehicle. Unless you are replacing, the body, chassis, brakes, suspension(pretty much a new car) then the odometer must stay the same.

It is 100% legal to replace a cluster with the same odometer but not less than or greater.

And it is actually legal to reset odometers on clusters, but it is illegal to install them into a car if its incorrect.

I know for a fact that the BA/BF clusters can be altered as I can do it. I do not wind them back so dont ask. I normally alter FPV/XR clusters to suit the car they are going into etc.

As for programming, Depends on what type of fpv it come out of, ute/sedan, also some BA's had a different ABS/Brake fail connection so it may not be compatible.

Matt

Edited by ORSMBA

• Azzman

So would I be able to do an inhale/exhale from my cluster to the secondhand FPV Cluster or would I have to do something different?

That way the new cluster displays the exact same information as the old one.

(for those of you that don't know, inhale/exhale is where you take all the info off your current cluster and put it all into a new cluster, so the scan tool inhales the info, then exhales it!)

I'm just not sure if you can do this onto a used cluster form your current one, or only onto new clusters.