Changing Dash Cluster

cranny

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 11m 28d

HI Guys just a quick question I have a 2007 xr6 turbo mk2 bf and I want to put in a FPV Dash cluster (SPEEDO ODO and TACHO)

the only problem is the fpv one I bought has only 30ks on it I have 45ks what will happen is it illegal to do this

also my car is still under warranty would ford ever know if I was to put my orignal one back in after the fpv for service and warranty work will this registrar on the computer or will the kilometers stay the same as the original cluster

cheers

• Moderating Team
  • Member For: 21y 1m 26d

The only thing that will have no warranty is the cluster that you remove. Be honest and tell your local Ford dealership what you are doing, and they can flash the correct amount of kays into the FPV cluster.

There will be a error code stored permanently in the ECU once you change clusters, there is no way of wiping this, it just states that a cluster change has taken place. The ECU will always store exactly how many kays the car has travelled, regardless of what the cluster displayes.

• Donating Members

I understand if the fpv one is in there it will show a error code but if I put my old one back in and remove the battery to reset the ecu ford will never know that I changed it is this right

I have also heard that capa flash tuner can erase error codes is this true

Edited by cranny

• Moderating Team

As far as I am aware, the ECU will know that a different cluster has been installed, and will log a error code, and from what I can understand, this code is permanently logged, and un-erasable.

• Donating Members

There for if I change my dash to a fpv one even if I changed it back at a later date to the original cluster ford would definitely know that a cluster changed has happened does any one know this for sure or does any one work for ford

• Moderating Team

Does it really frickin matter?

You've changed clusters..... whoa nellie, that's a big one! Better ease up on the mods there champ!!!!!We have blokes on here destroying diffs, putting legs out of bed, oil pump gears shearing, and you're loosing sleep over a friggin cluster change?!?!?!?!?

If I was buying a used XR6T/F6/anything and it came up with a error code changed cluster I couldnt give 2 sh*ts, id check how many kays are logged on the ECU and see if that matched the cluster installed. And if it did, id buy it, and if it didnt, id walk away. And id say that the majority of people on here would do the same.

Ford have changed all of my clusters, its not a hard job, yes you need access to a WDS to flash in the correct kays, yes my car still has full warranty besides clusters, and in all honesty, what else do you need to know? Yes my cars all have a error code cluster changed, and I sleep very well at night knowing this, and id say Ford dont give 2 sh*ts.

/rant off

• Like 1

• Bored Member
  • Administrator
  • Member For: 21y 4m 14d

Sorry cranny we forgot to give him his pills this morning....we've restrained him and clamped him to the bed so its safe to move when you feel the need....

• ORSM Ford Cruisers!
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 18y 9m 27d

The KM's are only stored in the Cluster no where else. Ford can only change KM's on brand new clusters. A DTC is not raised when you change a cluster. A value is changed in the cluster that records if the KM's have been changed from new.

Matt

• Donating Members

hey mate I liked youre post about the dash cluster what do u mean about the Kms are only recored in the dash cluster so that means that if I change my dash and lets say rack

up 5oooks on the new cluster and then change back to my orignal cluster ford would have no idea and there is no way of checking how many genuine kilometers a xr6 turbo has done

cheers adam