Sign in to follow this  
ViKiRs

Unlocking Stock Ecu?

Hi Guys,

Had a quick phone call to a local performance shop. And got told as of last week Fords release new software for the stock

ECU in the Xr6T Ba.

Cut to the chase, basically I got told theres no need for a piggy back system or capa flasher cos now they can unlock

the boost, tuning etc via this new software.

Is this true or what? :omg:

Ummmm NO.

We have been able to do this for about 3 years using a Flash tuner or Edit as it is known here.

May be your dealer has just started selling something like Edit, but this is not a revelation.

Ummmm NO.

We have been able to do this for about 3 years using a Flash tuner or Edit as it is known here.

May be your dealer has just started selling something like Edit, but this is not a revelation.

alright, I need to get my facts straight then.

1. He told me it software release from Ford last week, is this Flash tuner or Edit from Ford or is he totally off his mark?

2. Wat does a Capa Tuner have over a Flash tuner or is it the same thing?

:blush:

Same thing, edit/capa flash overwrites the stock tune (using the same ECU). There is also Sniper getting around now which does the same thing but without the need to buy a "flash box" or whatever you want to call it.

Regardless of what it is though, I'd bet my left nut it wasn't "released from Ford".

You missed out on the part that it still costs money other than paying for tuning to have the Sniper software used on the car darling.

Now STFU before I make a thread where I call you a BUNCH OF DICK

Edited by Fat-Tony

What your thinking of is something like ECUTEK or the much better VERSO on cars like WRX's and Evo's. Its basically software that allows you to retune the factory ecu without the need for an edit or anything. Launch control, antilag etc its all there apparently. Very cool stuff and A.S.G (WA guys will know this as one of the best workshops in Perth) do Verso and the results have been great from the looks of things

I asked one of the 2 creaters of Verso (Play indoor cricket with him) if it could be done and he thinks its possible BUT would require a bucketload of effort. He's not willing to even go there lol

http://www.versoautomotive.com

He actually thinks there is a lot of potential inour ecu's (look at launch control in the FG's) but it started out as a hobby for him as he had a WRX and it took off so they dealt with a workshop. Now he has a TDI golf or something and time is not his friend.

I do occasionally keep asking... "just use edit"

BUT most importantly he can build what he calls a blingmeter. LCD display that shows everything your ecu reads (ie boost, oil temps etc). Guess its nothing new (ie GTR's) but its sick!

Who knows what the future holds for the might XR! Give it a few years and I think there will be far more dedicated XR6 / f6 workshops, tuners and gear available.

Edited by Mat

Well I forgot last week but remembered to this week...

He explained how the Subaru's and EVO's ecu's (well some of them anyway) work and explained in brief laymens terms how its done BUT he wont even look at the ford one.

However he has a data logging gizmo he never used on his car as he sold it and bought a TDI Golf. He's bringing it along next week so we'll see how it goes!

Also 115 runs of 6 overs aint bad either :)

Same thing, edit/capa flash overwrites the stock tune (using the same ECU). There is also Sniper getting around now which does the same thing but without the need to buy a "flash box" or whatever you want to call it.

Regardless of what it is though, I'd bet my left nut it wasn't "released from Ford".

If you use HP Tune, you can save your std tune as a bin file, on your pc, and then create a modify tune and load (flash) the ECU.

Note: the ECU has flash memory just like your USB flash drive. So you are reflashing the internal memory of the ECU with the tune (program).

So HP Tune is basically tuning the standard ecu? Same way as ECUTEK works on Subi's? No need to spend $500 on an edit box and then another $500+ on a tune?

See that came up recently with a couple of mates who went from ECUTEK to Verso..

Their Perth tuner (subaru and evo workshop) locked the ECU (ECUTEK) and as a result they had issues when they went to Verso

The tuner shouldnt be in a position to lock the ECU. Your paying for a service. If he or she has nothing to hide then why would they need too

Edited by Mat

what is the cost if your tuner locks the ecu and you change to another tuner?

Unfortunately, if they lock it you will be stuck. I have heard of customer having to buy a new ECU.

I suggest you ask your tuner, if he locks it? and see if your are ok with that.

Some workshops think there tuning is their intellectually property.

OK, now I'm interested - is he willing to make up a Blingmeter for me? Maybe a group of them? :biggrin:

Bit of an update...

After cricket last week we had a bit of a play around with a few things and found out that some of the blingin Jap data loggers DO work with the ford ecu, just not well... They didnt work with his GOLF and another car he tried.

The main one we had a play with displayed everything from RPM to various temps etc. However, the readouts were all over the place. One feature is speed and it kept going to 309kms and then back to 0 while the car was at idle. All sorts of weird stuff. Boost worked though. It was a nice looking unit with nice blue / black screen that matched the interior. We'll try and get it sorted but who knows. The unit was set up for Subi's and Mitsi's.

On a positive note, our team is decimating all (subtle F&F line in there!). Last 3 seasons fighting it out for wooden spoon and this year we are flogging em. If we can do it, im sure Pav and the Freo boys can too :omg: