Losing Bulk Power @ Around 3000 Rpm

MikeyMike80

• Member For: 15y 9m 4d

Ok, so I had the flash tune done on my BA XR6T and the car has been running beautifully, until recently, when I go to over take and kick the car back, it gets up to about 3000 RPM and misfires, or coughs, pops and farts or something, but it sounds and feels horrible. And when the car is stationary and in neutral, I rev the car up, it hits 3000RPM and the revs die and drop right back down again, but I haven't taken my foot of the pedal

Now I'm not a mechanic or anything, but I'm guessing it's either a problem with the throttle position sensor, Coil Pack/Plugs or injectors. I've put injector cleaner through itm abd it's made no difference

If anyone can help me out and advise what to do, or if anyone else has this problem, could they PLEASE let me know, it's driving me nuts, and I thought I would try here before taking the car into Ford and paying thru the teeth

Cheers in Advance

Micheal

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Forged Member
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 17y 1m 21d

First question - Is it custom tuned or generic?

Could be your cat that has collapsed, or a coil problem. THe strange thing is that its doing it in Neutral with no load on the motor, so it almost sounds like a type of limp mode.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 5m 13d

how long ago was it tuned? check the plugs maybe (there is a thread on the website on how to) and have a good look over all your piping to make sure nothing is loose and that all electrical connections are on properly. dont know how much work is done to your car though... you have standard injectors and fuel pump still? might be worth checking the fuel filter too as it might be blocked and not letting enuf fuel through after 3000rpm, or fuel pump, wot you think senna?

Edited by F6_jase

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 11m 25d

hitting a torque limit at around 3000 rpm. could also be over boost at 3000rpm, desired boost might not be set high enough.

and with the car dying at 3000rpm in neutral, the tune will need to be adjusted to have the rpm while in neutral raised so it wont shut the throttle body when it hits 3000rpm.

who tuned the car???

Edited by The_Bogan

So far all I've done is Flash tune (325.4hp By RDP) F6 dual air intake, K & N Panel Filter and Removed Centre Muffler. that's all.

I thought that maybe someone was playing funny buggers and put my car in Valet setting, but reflashed the ECU on saturday, still no change.

The car was doing a similar thing prior to the car going down ro RDP, and when they had it, they replaced one (yes only one) of the coil packs, so I'm thinking, and hoping, that this is the same problem.

• Forged Member
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 17y 1m 21d

Changing the fuel filter is always a good idea, but it would have to be REALLY blocked to cause that problem when free revving.

I think speaking to a tuner is a good idea

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 11m 25d

why only replace 1??? why wouldnt they replace them all to save stuffing around further down the track? were the spark plugs replaced and gapped. that could also be an issue causing your car to lose power at 3000rpm.

I would be taking your car back to rdp and getting them to check the tune and fix the problem

I have no idea why they would replce only one, and to make matters worse (and to save me some $$) they used a spare one they had at the shop, which may have already been used, stuffs me :-S

Other than that the car ran beautifully for atleast 3 months, drove it up to Cairns and I averaged 9.2l/100K... for a performance car like that I think $165 in fuel (BP Ultimate) all the way up to Cairns was bloody good