Insurance....merged Topic....

Mondie

Insurance companies...  

825 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Playing with Sports Bikes...
  • Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 18y 4m 28d

(This is a farken long post and I apologise for that...)

Hey...

My car insurance is due in October, can't believe I've nearly had this car a year!!! But anyway... I'm insured with Just Car Insurance... Rating 1, 28yo with no accident history blah blah...

I thought while I'm off work (workcover, see my sig) I'd have a look around for cheaper/better/whatever insurance, so I tried an online quote with AAMI as they offer 'flexi-premiums', meaning that you can lower your premium in return for a higher excess in case of a claim... so for me AAMI is around $500 a year vs Just Car $1300 with basically the same premium in case of a claim... AAMI flexi premium excess $1550 + standard excess $400 ($1950 total excess) to claim vs Just Car standard excess $450 + vehicle excess $1200 + after market wheels (20's) excess $600 ($2250 total excess).

I went to the AAMI online quote page, filled in all of my details including mods, where I live and so on... now for a bit of history, when I first bought my car I tried AAMI first as my folks are insured with them, so I thought all good, I'm over 25yo now and they will probably insure me too, but unfortunately NO, only people over 30yo can insure an XR6T with AAMI... but who knows, maybe they have changed their stance on this in the time that I have owned my car... so I thought I'd try again...

Through their online quote page I answered 'yes' to is the car modified and ticked the boxes that were available pertaining to the mods that I have, so on I went. It then came up with a list of what I had entered (location, history, car and mods etc...) and a quote number, then on to a page saying 'Do you want to purchase this insurance' and I clicked 'Yes'... and started to think that they are an insurance company and I honestly don't think that they would've changed their critiria for insurance on a car, regardless of what it is... so I rang them, holding my online quote on the computer at the same time...

I got through to Sales and then gave her my saved quote no. and in an instant the lady on the phone told me that I have a 'red flag' car (not because of mods, they had no problem with the mods as I'm over 25yo, but because of the car and my age) and that they are unable to insure me as I'm under 30yo, I explained that I am at the point of the online quote where I am able to start entering my credit card no. and to purchase the insurance... she said to me that it's 'impossible', because the AAMI sales system is directly connected to the website, I told her that it can't be, because I am currently able buy this insurance as we speak... so I went on through the purchase page (filling in all my Credit Card details and so on, with her still on the phone to me saying that 'it's impossible that I'm at that page' but I was, she then asked me to hold while she spoke to her supervisor, I waited, she came back and told me that even though I am able to insure my car over the internet in the event of a claim I would find myself without insurance, as AAMI would deny any claim made by myself with the car that I had, even though I was able to purchase it... I said fair enough, you need to change your online quote system to reflect your stance on this car as I see it as a kind of false advertisment...

I'm a bit annoyed now, not only because this would save me around $700 a year (not a small amount of money to anyone) on my car insurance but if I hadn't rung them and told them what I was doing I would be cruising around the streets of Melbourne thinking that I had insured my pride and joy, all mods included but in the event of an accident I would be completely stuffed, I wouldn't have a leg to stand on, whether it's my fault or not regardless of the accident... my claim would be denied either way...

So obviously I haven't taken up their online offer of insurance as I don't want to run around without comprehensive car insurance, but what if I had've taken up the offer of insurance????

Where would I stand then... they would've accepted my payment for insurance and I would've paid it in the knowledge that I had fulfilled all the requirements to be insured by them...

Sorry for the length of the post... it's my longest yet... but in my eyes a very interesting thing to think about...

Jack :nono:

Edited by XR6T8_U

• Team Grandpa
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 17y 10m 27d

My renew is coming up in Sept with AAMI

I paid the diff of $42 from a BA XL ute from March to Sept.

They couldnt tell me what the yearly cost will be when I bought the T.

Might get a big fat surprise....expect 600 bills @ 34 years young.

• Playing with Sports Bikes...
  • Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 18y 4m 28d
Racv I found to be just as cheap as AAMI, cheaper infact. But none the less I found at not one time of contacting them that I didnt qualify for the age bracket to be driving the vehicle. Go figure huh

That's what I'm talking about here... what if you (or I through AAMI) had've purchased that insurance?

And just for interest sake, you (or I) had crashed, regardless of circumstance in to the Ferrari dealership on Bridge Rd in Richmond, and made your way all the way through that dealership to the back, and damaged every single car on your way through... what would the damage bill be?

I'd hate to think... there is maybe 10+ cars in that showroom, now allowing for 150k per vehicle (and that is being very kind with insurance value vs actual value), you are looking at your insurance company knocking back a claim of at least 1.5 million dollars not including the damage to the building and fixtures... maybe another couple of hundred thousand at least...

So who know's it could be over 2 million dollars, and most probably closer to 3 million dollars... all because you had faithfully bought your vehicle insurance online and then the insurance company decided not to cover you because you were 18 months away from actually being able to insure yourself with them because of your age even though they accepted your payment from you for that insurance over the internet...

Jack :nono:

Edited by XR6T8_U

• Member For: 17y 7m 26d

I also had a AAMI Quote online saying $690 a year. then rang up to confirm that (because it was just wayyy to cheap for a 21year old) only to be told they dont insure anyone under 25 years of age on that car (BF XR6T Ute)

so why they declined you I dont know.

on the up side, for some weird reason the cheapest quote I got is from TIO (territory insurance office, its a NT thing :P) was $960 a year with $600 excess!!

I asked them to verify my date of birth AND that they were insuring a XR6T Ute BF, and they confirmed, and even emailed me while I was on the phone with them for me to read it for myself - neitherless I gave them my credit card there and then and told the bloke not to push another button the keyboard :laughing:

so yer, @ 21 years of age, (22 on the 20th aug) and $960, im paying less then I thought and happy about it!!

:greyscare:

• Member For: 18y 9m 8d

that's strange Jack.. I did the AAMI online quote the other day, just to see if I could compete with Just Cars ($2000 24yo driver, rating 1), anyways, I entered all my details, and mods etc, but then got denied when I tried to proceed, because it said I was not eligible for insurance due to either my car, mods, or a combo of both.. so buggered if I know how they're working it :greyscare:

I can't see how they'd deny a claim, if you had a policy number, with receipt of your payment! If they accepted your money, and gave a receipt to acknowledge payment, then they have accepted to insure your car!! If that's an error on their behalf, then that's their problem. Provided you didn't lie, or use fake details or fake credit cards etc. If you were honest, then that is their problem. As you said, if you had done it online, and assumed you had insurance, then that could have been really bad!

• Member For: 18y 9m 8d
I also had a AAMI Quote online saying $690 a year. then rang up to confirm that (because it was just wayyy to cheap for a 21year old) only to be told they dont insure anyone under 25 years of age on that car (BF XR6T Ute)

so why they declined you I dont know.

on the up side, for some weird reason the cheapest quote I got is from TIO (territory insurance office, its a NT thing :P) was $960 a year with $600 excess!!

I asked them to verify my date of birth AND that they were insuring a XR6T Ute BF, and they confirmed, and even emailed me while I was on the phone with them for me to read it for myself - neitherless I gave them my credit card there and then and told the bloke not to push another button the keyboard  :laughing:

so yer, @ 21 years of age, (22 on the 20th aug) and $960, im paying less then I thought and happy about it!!

:greyscare:

that's awesome for you... but f*ck its one thing that really gets up my nose!!! how can insurance companies have so much variance. It really is beyond a joke!! I really need to shop around.

Perhaps we could get a poll on the forums, or a list of who people use, and what age they are, and how much they pay.. also, if they have mods or not etc. A list of insurance companies and rough prices will give us all a good place to start when trying to decide on insurance.

The main players here in canberra, have all denied me, due to age and mods.

• I see red
  • Member For: 21y 3m 11d

Location has a lot to do with insurance ie percieved risk of been stolen/damaged so comparing quotes in ACT to NT is not really relevant - you are comparing apples and banannas! Also, some people have lock-up garages, some people park in the street, some people use car as daily driver, some as occasional etc etc so you can see there are many variations and these all have an effect on price and availability of insurance. Unless everybody has the same circumstances then comparisons are a waste of time.

Jimmy - have you tried Shannons insurance? They have a branch out in Fyshwick and I think you may even get a slight discount on the premium if you mention you are a member of ff.au forum (they are a sponser).

Their premium was nearly double NRMA on my car but if they won't insure you then I guess you have no choice. They don't care about mods, as long as they are legal and you tell them what you have.

And just for interest sake, you (or I) had crashed, regardless of circumstance in to the Ferrari dealership on Bridge Rd in Richmond, and made your way all the way through that dealership to the back, and damaged every single car on your way through... what would the damage bill be?

well the only reason why didnt insure with them as they dont do a pay by the month and their price. Dont laugh, I remember seeing pics a while back of a p plater whom owned a HSV clubsport and smashed that through the front gates of watson holden. Apparetnly the damage bill was somewhat 300k + and guess what as the insurance was in his parents name he was not covered. Not 100% sure about certianty of the last bit of info but none the less it always pays to check out your policy booklet and ask the questions.