spooner

Fg Ute Tonneau Covers

Hi All,

Id say the New design for fastening the tonneau cover is completely crap , sure it may look better than the BA style, but using it day in day out is hard with only one person, scratches the sides, doesnt hold properly, weak as piss. Both my side rails snapped in half after 6 goes at easy on and off, . at least I can fold it now to make it easier to use.

Just waiting now for it to fly off while driving . At least the BA lugs worked even if ugly.

Cheers

Spooner, funny you should mention about it flying off. Before I had my hard lid fitted I was driving on the M7 at 100 kph and the thing ripped off and was flapping about like a crazy thing just being held on by the front anchors.. All it takes as I found out is not have it perfectly clipped in and the wind gets in then its all over. Lucky it didnt scratch the paint or I'd be really pissed.

Dont think it would win any design awards mate.

tig

have you got the bulge cover?

any pics as I have not seen one yet

timmy

Timmy, not the best photos but heres a couple .

cheers

The extra inside hooks for oversize loads , securing sound great in theory, but is only 2 each side , connected to one elastic strap , that has no tension capabilities at all :)

You really need a extra 2 for front , and 2 at the rear which arent there to make it work properly . :(

Also in rain the water builds up in cover and through weight makes the back section release and cave in whilst parked :(

Weak As and Useless if you actually use the ute bit for putting stuff in, which is a shame .

The new adustable slider mounts work great for big things :)

I don't mean to insult anyone, but are you fitting it correctly? I have noticed a few in the yard haven't been fitted on the correct lip, this allows the water to cave it in

Exactly what I was gonna ask. Have had no dramas with mine. It does seem as though they lock on in two stages so I'm always carefull to get it clipped on properly.

Think I'll just chuck mine in the nearest skip bin I find. If anybody wants mine just ask and its yours.

Ive had no probs with mine either.

It can get rained on all day (and has been) with no cave in.

The side rails are in 2 from the factory, I believe so you can fold it easily (I often have mine rolled up around the support rails behind the seats).

As for the clips, well I haven't used them yet, but I looked the other day, and I have 2 on the left, back, and right.

And as for the coming off at speed... mine hasn't come off... and I have had it at some HIGH private road speeds :P

I think that has covered all the critisisms :P

im going to do a retro fit of the new tarp on my BF next week as I much rather the look of the new style.

will post some pics and info for anyone interested if it all works out ok.

Pat, can I still get the little plugs to cover the holes from the lugs already colour coded from parts?

Edited by UTB05S

ahh bugger, should have planned it better. im getting the tailgate repainted tomorrow on mine and could have got them done at the same time

I thought they come colour coded.

any chance of getting some today? (unlikely I know)

im going to do a retro fit of the new tarp on my BF next week as I much rather the look of the new style.

will post some pics and info for anyone interested if it all works out ok.

Pat, can I still get the little plugs to cover the holes from the lugs already colour coded from parts?

UTB05S, Have got a brand new FG tarp which I dont need as I have a hard lid. The side rail section that the tarp clips on to is still connected to my ute. Have you already bought a tarp, if not you are welcome to have mine. Not sure if the side rails that you need for it are sold seperately though, Pat might know.

cheers, Geoff

Yeah mate, have em instock, not real cheap though - my cost is $4.40 each! Normally $6.38! You'll have to double check on your ute, but from memory you need 20 of them

UTB05S, Have got a brand new FG tarp which I dont need as I have a hard lid. The side rail section that the tarp clips on to is still connected to my ute. Have you already bought a tarp, if not you are welcome to have mine. Not sure if the side rails that you need for it are sold seperately though, Pat might know.

cheers, Geoff

Thanks for the offer but I already have all the parts including the FG tub liner ;)

the chassis is the same and the inner skin of the ute tub looks the same too so should be no probs to fit it all up.

Well its all fitted

Quite a big job but I am happy with the result and fit.

Involved welding in plates and putting captive nuts in so I wouldnt try it at home

here is a pic of the finished product.

bfg.jpg

Edited by UTB05S

Funny put my tarp on ebay sealed in the bag not a single bidder .. back on again you would reckong someone would want one .. they dont come on non xr utes standard do they .. cause if they do I'll give up and cut the plastics off and just use it to chuck over stuff in the ute for a bit a rain protection..

cheers utemad