Replacing Shocks And Springs

our06t

• 1 month later...
Guest Spinifex
  • Guests

Yesterday, my own Bilstiens arrived on my doorstep. In between the gazillion other bloody things I did today, I fitted the rear pair.

Did the left side first and it was a bit of a pain in the bum, but what I learned, I put in to practice and did the right side in no time.

Here`s a couple tips. Grab a second jack, okay I left my trolley jack under the car with a chassis stand as insurance, so I grabbed the weird scissor jack outa me Daewoo work car and supported the bottom control arm with it.

Just crack the top retaining bolt, then remove the bottom bugger alltogether. Finally remove the top bolt and withdraw the stock shock.

NOW!!! The Bilstein is a bee`s dick bigger at the top mount eye part. so, loosen the 10 mm head size bolts around the top eyelet - mount that are circled in the pic.

Loosen them 3/4`s the way out.

If you don`t, you`ll dick around for 30 or more mins trying to get the top bolt in. Loosen those four eyelet bracket bolts off and you are gold.

Tighten it all up, before you put the wheel on, have a squizz at your rear brake pads.

I wire brushed the rust off the hub where it mates up with the wheel and wiped on a bit of lanotec sheep grease in the vain hope it`d stop it from returning.

After a quick drive, I felt a tangible difference just with the rears. My car would axle tramp like a dirty old HQ, but it does nothing of the kind now. I`m itching to fit the fronts for sure.. I reckon the stockers are shagged, you can just work them like a push bike pump almost, the Billy`s? ah nuh..

post-14395-1230105867_thumb.jpg

Edited by Spinifex

Guest Spinifex
  • Guests

$1055 to my door. Ordered late last friday received here tuesday arvo, not too shabby so close to xmas.. I typed Bilstein AU into google and went from there.

Can not wait to fit the fronts..

Guest Spinifex
  • Guests

In relation to what you get out of it, I reckon its real value indeed. I can`t wait to put what I learned from the original post into practice and fit the fronts. Thanks our06t by the way.

LOL, I reckon I`ll be under the front guards xmas arvo..

Guest Spinifex
  • Guests

LOL, how much to have the fronts fitted?? I`m mid way through this, just stopped for a turkey sanga.

It`s a bit of a bastard by ya self, eh.

Not impossible, but not much fun.

Guest Spinifex
  • Guests

Okay I`d have editing my last but didn`t have time to work it out.

I`ve replaced all four shocks on my BF Typhoon with Bilsteins.

The stock springs remain, I`m happy to keep them there for now, I`ve got no real issue with them.

Couple more clues I can add for the front fitting: If you`re gonna do one side at a time like I had too ( which is to say jack one side at a time cause of ya rabbit hole carport ) undo the end links for the front sway bar first, both of them. It becomes apparent that the bar won`t swing down outa the way and allow the bottom control arm to travel far enough to let the shock come out.

Undo the middle - main nut on the top of the shock while its still in the car, just back it off a bit and it makes its easier to remove on the ground.

Once you`re finished, go for a drive and be very happy with your purchase.

I gained ride quality I beleive. It just feel waaaaay better everywhere.

I reckon its a grand really well spent, its not that hard to do yourself either, lol I did the drivers side in no time once I made all the blues on the passenger side.

Edited by Spinifex