Tyre Width On Stock 17s

xr6bt1

• Member For: 15y 9m 1d

Was looking at getting some 19s for the car instead of replacing tyres, but due to unforseen circumstances I wont be able to afford them at this time :3gears: .

Therefor im need of a new set of tyres for the rear. Just wondering how big (width wise eg 255) can I go on the standard xr6 turbo 17's?

If I gotta have 17s they may as will grip a little.

Cheers

Edited by xr6bt1

• Member For: 17y 17d

I was looking at the BFG's I currently have and they were $195 each for 235 wide and JUMPED to $345 for 245 profile.

Its just not worth going up in widths for 17 inch rims and the tyre guy was saying alot of the ricers come in with Wide 17inch rims that they have had on their cars when they got imported and upgrade to 18's or 19's with pretty good tyres instead of blowing the same money on the widers tyres for 17's.

Best to go with a stickier tyre at 235. Yokohama make some nice sticky ones but they tend to wear heaps quicker.

The BFG's I have have decent grip and are wearing pretty well compared to the Yokohama C-Drives I have on the front.

• Cant wait to drive it
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 8m 14d

check out TTF or Bob janes cant remembewr which one but they having a massive rim sale at the moment set of 17's with tyres for $699 so id say 18'/19's are going pretty cheap to

• Member For: 15y 9m 1d

Yeah I can see that it wouldnt be worth paying an extra $150 for 10mm of extra tread. I may be able to get a pair of 255's for a good deal, that's why im asking how wide I can go on the 17's.

Yeah there are some really good deals out there for rim/trye packages, but I will need to do suspension at the same time, that's what is holding me back. can get a nice set of 19's with tyres for 2k, but need another 1k for suspension. I like doing things at once to avoid the car looking like a 4wd with 19's on it. that's why I decided to spend $400 on tyres for now and save up to do the wheels/suspension mods properly.

Cheers

• Member For: 19y 6m 19d

u can fit 275's on a std ford 17' wheel but I wouldnt for daily duties. they balloon out the sidewalls to much and it wouldnt take much to roll one off the bead with a bit of hard cornering or a "near miss" occasion.

a 255 would be a comfortable size for daily driven, leave the 275's for the strip.