Best Tyres

freddiemax

• Member For: 15y 7m 17d

Hi all

Soon will need new tyres on my 17" bf 2006 xr6 turbo

I have been told that about the best you can get is the Michelin Pilot Preceda.

The are averaging about $230 to $250 in Sydney.

Has anyone any thoughts on this and have they had better prices?

:stirthepot:

• Forged Member
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 17y 2m 17d

This is a tricky subject, everyone will have an opinion on what they have used, however no-one has tried all of the tires on the market!

My dad has the Preceda's on his Lexus, and loves them for wear and wet weather performance. But he doesn't drive his V6 auto luxo barge like we would drive our T's!

Maybe the Michelin Pilot Sport would be better suited to the XRT as it would work better with the sports orientation of the car. Just be prepared for a price increase!

• Flower Power
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 21y 6m 14d

The best tyres you will be able to get for your 17's go the Pilot Preceda 2's.

If you want better, upgrade to 18's and get the PS2's as senna mentioned above.

• Member For: 16y 4m 10d

you guys will think I am sniffing glue, I was going to get some adrenalins , always like my bridgestones but I do about 35K a year, and its wet in melbourne sometimes, I put on a set of 235/45 ER300's and I am very happy with then especially in the wet, way better than teh SP3000A. quiet too, for the first time I could hear the BOV all the time, wondered what the hell it was initially. the guy at donellans reckon they wear really well as well.

Tam

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 3m 1d

I took Cro's advise and bought a set of Michelin Pilot Preceda 245/40/ZR18's for my T back in August.

They are a fantastic tyre.

Quiet as, stick like glue and so very confident.

Expect to pay more than $400 per unless you can cut a deal somewhere.

Good hunting!

• Mmmmm......BOOST
  • Member For: 16y 11m 28d

I went for a set of goodyear ds-3's and they are a good tyre ,very quiet and fairly sticky

I have used continental's in the past but could'nt justify the price for this car considering it's healthy appertite for rubber

Edited by our06t

• Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 18y 10m 2d

we really need to know how much you plan on spending mate.. its all well and good recommending tyres that are $250+, but if you are looking for tyres at a certain price point, that's not much help..

• My engine bay is Bionic
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 18y 1m 5d
Hi all

Soon will need new tyres on my 17" bf 2006 xr6 turbo

I have been told that about the best you can get is the Michelin Pilot Preceda.

The are averaging about $230 to $250 in Sydney.

Has anyone any thoughts on this and have they had better prices?

:spoton:

Running out of rubber myself and we have the same aged car. I just wont be touching any brand that ive never heard of before, but other then that some good ideas above.

I.B.

• Member For: 19y 3m 9d

I have the very new Goodyear F1 Asymmetrico in 17". (This is not the previous Goodyear F1 GD3??? whatever.)

This new tyre has won rave reviews all over the world.

The previous tyres on the car were Dunlop Sports Maxx's. I found these an excellent tyre with linear responses and high limits in both wet and dry. I liked them so much I bought two sets in succession.

The F1 assymetrico's are all that plus something else. They have the ability to generate staggering (it seems) lateral transients and almost as impressive sustained lateral grip at medium and especially high legal speeds.

Amazing really. With just the right weight management and torque transfers, at moderate speeds it is possible to generate an impression of go kart like response, in both wet and dry. YMMV. The tyre has somewhat of an uncanny but brilliant feel and response at the higher legal speeds.

Forward longitudinal grip is also superior to the Maxx's in cold weather during high boost up changes, however, as the TC is always on there is little more that I can add here. Braking may be slightly superior to the Maxx's in wet and dry, however the Maxx's already had high limits in this respect.

I paid $315 per tyre fitted and balanced for the 17".

Car is standard power 2005 BAT A4

Regards,

aa

Edited by aiboart