Oil Catch Can

• iTs alL DaRDy........
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 7m 14d

normally crankcase pressure is returned back into the intake system to be burnt in the engine, mainly for emmisions as unburnt fuel(hydrocartbons) end up in there especially on a turbo car with lots of possitive pressure. the returned gasses also carry a bit of oil.

which tends to screw up your throttle body, air flow meter, injectors etc. the catch can is put between the crankcase vent and the air intake to trap the oil and stop it from getting into the engine.

mike

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 7m 2d

Great writeup there mate and loved the little bracket you made up. Im yet to put mine in but will use your idea for mine.

I noticed you put a ruler for measurments under your template, but is there any chance you could photocopy the templete for us lazy ones here and post it so we can print off and just cut it out?!

• Member For: 20y 8m 14d
Do you mean just dump the oil? That is bad practise as we all know what happens when oil gets under your tyres, or worse still the tyres of a motorbike.

It also disregards the fact that the vacuum rushing into the turbo sucks on the crankcase vapours pulling them from the crankcase gaining you hp and reducing oil leaks everywhere in the engine.

I did just mean dump it. I understand this isn't environmentally friendly but surely the amount of oil coming from this hose would be very minute and have very little if no effect on other vehicles considering the amount that would be dripping from other cars sumps etc.

The thought of the vacuum helping reduce oil leaks sounds good but wouldn't this be counter balanced by pressure blow by? How does having this line plumbed into your intake increase hp?

This reply is not ment to sound arguementative just curious.

Benny

Edited by Benny

• Forged Member
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 17y 2m 12d

Imagine if there was no outlet for the vapours Ben, it would build up pressure and put strain on things - hence reducing HP. With the recycling effect, it takes away this pressure and also lubricates the turbo (if plumbed in before the turbo)

that's how I understand it anyway... :dontknow:

• Member For: 20y 8m 14d
Imagine if there was no outlet for the vapours Ben, it would build up pressure and put strain on things - hence reducing HP. With the recycling effect, it takes away this pressure and also lubricates the turbo (if plumbed in before the turbo)

that's how I understand it anyway... :dontknow:

Senna,

I ment to vent the line below the engine bay which will allow crankcase pressure to vent to atmosphere. Thus not needing catch can and no need to worry about sucking oil through your intake which will reduce the air quality which in turn would reduce hp.

Benny.

• Member For: 17y 1m 7d

The reason it makes more hp with a good pcv system is due to the fact that there is no pressure in the crank case fot the moving pistons and crank to contend with. You can have it open to atmosphere but you are relying on the next bit of blowby to push out the last bif of blow by from the crank case and it simply doesnt happen as well as it does when you have a vacuum sucking them out.

Yes the oil that gets sucked out as tiny particles with the vapours is bad for your intake for numerous reasons and that is why you use an oil catch can or oil/air seperator to rid the vapours of any oil.

On a lot of big hp chev engines in the states they are running massive cams which do not provide sufficient vacuum to suck the crankcase so they actually run a vacuum pump to suck the crankcase and all serious race engine run a dry sump system which has massive vacuum on the crankcase.

You can have the best of both worlds and a system like what seventytwo has done is as close to that as you will get.

• Still have a turbo, it's just on a diesel.
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 18y 9m 13d
Great writeup there mate and loved the little bracket you made up. Im yet to put mine in but will use your idea for mine.

I noticed you put a ruler for measurments under your template, but is there any chance you could photocopy the templete for us lazy ones here and post it so we can print off and just cut it out?!

Photocopies are not really that accurate but I will see what I can do.