Project Opensource Icc - Hardware, Software

MrBean

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Member For: 15y 8m 5d

Sounds good Bean, the chopped down version of windows sounds good, how did you get that going? - thought you were a bit stumped with programming? - or is there more to bean than meets the eye lol.

Apparently soon the proprietories for the Falcon's vehicle mapping and everything else are going to be getting released, I was talking to my mechanic about differential changes, and he said wait till they get the software from Ford, so they can edit the vehicles computer themselves because its coming upto the end of the 5 year copyright thing... I don't know what sort of stuff is getting sent out, but it could be something helpful with this.

Steve

• Member For: 17y 11m 12d

Hello Boyz,

@ Glimmerman: Ah, just playing a little with Windows XP Embedded, been faffing around with it enough to get a very fast, small and stable OS image for my little board. To make things easy on everyone, and without spending $1k AUD on the license, you can use nLite to tailor your Windows to suit you...

Well, been doing a bit of research, and it seems we may have found the hardware interface ready-made, will safe a fair bit of time in developing this ICC-emulator.

It is in 2 formats, either a developement board, which includes RS-232 interface and level-converter, the Atmel AVR AT90CAN128 micro, CANbus transceiver, and Vreg circuitry:

Developement Board

And a Header Board version, which is basic Microcontroller, with support circuitry, for the micro only, no interface chips:

Header Board

Here is the datasheet for the Micro:

AT90CAN128 Micro Datasheet

Now, what makes me exited about this micro, is the fact that:

1)There's a Atmel sample bootloader for it, with CAN 11-bit interface, which we can modify slightly.

2)Generous amount of IO-pins for things like HVAC buttons, and all the other buttons on the MCC/ACC ICC unit

3)Once we have a working prototype, we can then use the header-board unit, with std 2.5mm SIL pin-spacing, and design a small daughterboard, with transceiver chips, RS-level converter, Vreg, and then interfacing to either MCC or ACC ICC units buttons/knobs.

This little unit will very much simplify our efforts, so we can focus on the software side of things.

Nice, I'll order 1 of each, so I can start. Within next couple of weeks I would at least like to get CANbus handshaking sorted.

Well, if we use something like this, we can basically use the same header-board, and then have 2 versions of the daughterboards, for the 2 styles of ICC's - this will allow people to run their std HIM firmware, without a need to change. It will require different commands in the CAN messages though, but simple enough to cater for.

Let me know what you guys think.

Br,

Beanie.

Edited by MrBean

Hello Guys,

Luckily I found a supplier I've used before, Dontronics in Tullamarine, that had both the JTAG-Programmer, and the Developement Board in stock.

I am $184 for the worse, but all in the name of R&D :)

Oh well, sh*t happens - should have both hopefully Monday or Tuesday if I cannot collect it tomorrow, then we can start playing. Need to learn the AVR instruction set from scratch, but, we will get there me thinks.

Eventually.....

Unless we have some gifted AVR-programmers out there, this will take a short while. Luckily we have most of the PID's available thanx to Lukeyson over at Fordmods.

I will start reverse-engineering the Dualzone ICC pushbuttons et al as soon as Tree Monkey sends the unit over. Then, I will start designing the daughterboard, which will interface to these buttons, and to the dev-board - for using the header-board, I will simply change the connectors and routing of tracks on the PCB.

If there's enough interest, we can have a few of these made from scratch, with a simple dual-layer PCB, no mother/daugtherboards.

Ah....now for the wait.

Sounds BLOODY FANTASTIC from what I understood from it, my background is in networking and a bit of computer hardware - but what you just said left me behind pretty fast lol!

I would definately purchase one of these, so if you are able to do a small run of them, I'd send the monies over for it ASAP - I doubt though that once people start to see it, the demand would be small - you could have yourself a HUGE business lol.

The Windows Embedded I actually looked at about a month ago, I have two gps, and only needed one so started to try and crack it, in the aim of using it for an in car media controller, due to the touch screen, fact it has gps capability already, SD slot and a usb slot also... Just couldn't find much info on people who have done it, or ripped into one before and couldn't find a way to get into it.

Sounds fantastic, should you need donations towards the project, I'd be happy to lend assistance, in the end, the project would be something that would benefit me as well, so more an investment :stupid: lol

Good luck with the next endeavors with it

Steve

:) It will be very small, compact, and sufficient.

@ Glimmerman: Thanx for the support, for now I will be ok with monies, etc.....just picked up the Dev Board and J-TAG programmer from Dontronics in Tullamarine, so I will start with testing/developement.

I will start posting some additional info tonight about what tags (PID signal exchange) happens between BEM, IC, ICC and HIM.

Once we have a complete list, can we draft a framework for the software requirements, and start working.

I am awaiting Tree Monkey's sponsored ICC, he will most likely send it off coming Saturday (thanx Mate), so I can start with signal tracing, and drafting of schematics for electronics.

Will keep you posted.

edit: Heya Blokes, don't forget this is supposed to be opensource, so anyone can provide input ;)

Edited by MrBean

Awesome,

once you get it all worked out, I have a mate who is pretty fanatical with CAD software and design, I'll have a word with him about working out the schematics for the new facia, if its altered alot more than the original, and once he can give me something that would be producable, have a chat with my uncle, he works in injection moulding, see if he knows anywhere that can run a few off for the members here who choose to also do this upgrade.

Cheers,

Steve

Hello Guys,

Before we start, we need to know what signals are required where, ie inter-node communications.

Nodes (what we will look at for now)

ICC = Interior Command Center

IC = Instrument Cluster

BEM = Body Electronic Module

HIM = HVAC Integrated Module

PCM = Powertrain Control Module

I will (over the weekend) post some data that will indicate what signals are send/received by which modules pertaining to our application. That way we can finetune exactly what our emulator (ICC) needs to send to IC, HIM, etc.

Any good quality (accurate) info you may have will be helpful.

Br,

Beanie.

SO Bean,

Is this one of those projects that are like a good book... you can't put them down? and can't walk away with ease at all lol

Have you got any pics you could post with what you have achieved thus far?

Cheers,

Steve