Mike's Step By Step Guide To: Replacing Spark Plugs

Mike XR6T

• Member For: 15y 6m 21d

Hi all

still new here and as such slowly working my way through old threads.

I havnt come across it yet but has any body tried using a colder plug eg NGK - BKR7EIX-11 gapped to 0.8?

side note .... WRX run platinum PFR6G but WRX STI the colder PFR7G

???

• iTs alL DaRDy........
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 6m 24d

there is no harm in replacing them mate, especially if your going to do any mods!

if your gonna gap standard plugs use feeler gauge to messure the gap and gently tap the earth electrode on a something like a vice to bend the elecgtrode in if your gonna do it that way

cheers

mike

• 2 weeks later...
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 6m 24d
yes mate.

these plugs will be fine on stock tune.

and then when u mod it u wont have to change the plugs again!

Not sure if im right but after changing to the .8mm spark plugs, ive seemed to have lost power. I no longer get the throw back feeling when I take off. Could this be right or is it just a placebo reaction after reading all the posts. I might just swap back to the standard plugs until I mod my car more. Also it doesnt dos as loud and I cant hear my air intake breathing anymore :blink:

• NOT THERE!... THERE!
  • Member For: 15y 11m 6d
GK your mechanic is a Dick

I know exactly what im talking about!

but sounds like he dont have a clue!

I'm 100% right. And I have lots of Training to back my explanation.

The spark plug web sites offer a basic(and most times inaccurate) explanation of an Ignition systems just to keep people like him that have no real idea happy and thinking they do!

sorry buddy but the guys a moron take your car elsewhere

I spent 3 years working for a company that develops ignition components and understand exactly how they work.

and have spend 6 years in the field fixing ignition systems

the NGK site is right but it explane the reaction to spark NOT the sparks characteristics itself which is MOST impotrtant!

Take your car somewhere whith even half an idea before the f*ks it completely

take it easy

p.s the plugs most of us use R WRX iridiums that arnt listed but are perfect for modded T's

Welcome anyone elses comennts on this :o

Just to confirm what Mike is saying...

I have a mate at work who does some marketing stuff for NGK. He put me on to one of their Tech guys who I spoke to at length about using the Rexxy .8mm BKR6EIX in my T after having an edit.

He said before he gave me the plugs, he wanted to know exactly why I was using a plug that wasn't the standard NGK recommended plug (to make sure I wasn't going on a half baked theory or bad advice).

As soon as I told him what I'd read here (about using .8mm BKR6EIX at higher than standard boost levels, ie. after an edit) he told me that it was definitely the way to go and went on to explain why.

I was already very confident after reading around on here that they were the ones to use, he just wanted to make sure I was getting the right thing for my car, which I thought was cool.

Anyway, NGK Techos agree with Mike. Not that it'll come as a surprise to many people, I'm sure. :)

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 5m 13d

Anybody know any reason why these plugs wouldnt fit into my FG series? Surely they would be the same head as the BF? no listing for the FG yet :o

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 5m 13d

Pulled my stock plugs out today and compared them to the BKR6EIX plugs, exactly the same reach and thread. Also wouldn't the larger gap equate to a longer duration anyway as it would take a little longer jumping the 1.1mm gap compared to the .8mm gap?

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 6m 24d
Not sure if im right but after changing to the .8mm spark plugs, ive seemed to have lost power. I no longer get the throw back feeling when I take off. Could this be right or is it just a placebo reaction after reading all the posts. I might just swap back to the standard plugs until I mod my car more. Also it doesnt dos as loud and I cant hear my air intake breathing anymore :titwave:

Hi Mark I have to apologise. Yesterday when I was fitting an UBP, I realised I hadnt clamped the the pipe from the turbo to the cross-over :beerchug: Any way its all good know. Wont be swapping those plugs back, the cars running better than ever. Cheers Mate Sorry bout that.

• 1 month later...
  • Member For: 15y 3m 16d

Hi Mike,

Replaced my plugs and after 2 days it is missing under load it idles well but when I get up it, it is missing changed my plugs then found your great step by step process after. I dropped mine down the hole rather than lowering, do you think this may have closed the gap on one or more and be causing the miss only had the car 5 days. 2004 XR6turbo standard with 6 speed manual 88000 ks have ordered a flash tuner and have replaced the air cleaner with a K&N filter. any advise greatly appreciated.

Regards Dean

• Like 1