Mike's Step By Step Guide To: Replacing Spark Plugs

Mike XR6T

• Member For: 15y 8m 6d

Just wondering what glue you used to fix the rubber mount on the left hand side of the crossover next to the PVC valve hose, I see in one pic the rubber is sheared off, then adhered back on with the thread and rubber in the later re-assembly pic, I followed your instructions looking for the third and found it thanks, did ya miss it during removal.. :laughing::)

• iTs alL DaRDy........
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 7m 19d

GK your not bad

hahahahaha :blush:

I didnt bother to metion that I broke it cause I didnt think anyone would ahve noticed lol

I used Modeling Cino( really good superglue) and once it dryerd it was stronger than the originals.

but u can get them from fraud and they r not dear. :spoton:

sorry I forgot to put a pic up of the third nut- but hey no ones perfect lol

it took me 2-3 hrs to do the post as is.....

im glad u found it helpful

take care

mike :blink:

• Cant wait to drive it
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 9m 11d
Great write-up!!

So you used a magnetic spark plug socket? - For anyone who doesn't have one like this, I used a Telescopic Magnetic pick-up tool to extract the old plugs and insert the new ones, as the socket I had wasn't magnetic. Really useful tool to avoid bumping the electrode on the way down. I also used a socket instead of a flat head screwdriver, on the intake hose band clamps to really get them tight.

Nice pics too mate, specially the rubbers on the coils - almost lost some :spoton:

Nick

a propper spark plug socket will have a rubber gromet in it that will hold onto your spark plug

great write up mike that sixth plug is a bastard hense the reason fraud servicing usually dont bother changing it

Edited by bluute

Just got this response from my mechanic, after forwarding this to him!

NGK Australia lists your plug as FR6EI-11 - that's a 1.1mm gap. NGK don't actually list an iridium option. I'd hazard a guess that 'Mike XR6T" isn't actually experiencing a big mid-top end power increase but it's just feeling that way because he's created a flat spot in the bottom end with a smaller plug gap (being not under boost so a less dense charge not requiring the smaller gap of a high density charge) which gives a lower spark temperature.

Also, the spark doesn't 'continue' as he claims - it's merely a trigger. The bigger the gap the higher the energy created by the ignition system to jump to the grounding electrode so the higher the temperature of the spark and that temperature is what matters but only to initially ignite the charge - once the flame front begins it propagates on it's own because it's an exothermic reaction. I don't need to use ignition temperature it when calculating the vent area for vessels for explosion proofing them so they don't tear open in the event of an explosion because once it begins it's self-propagating.

http://www.ngkspark.com.au/part_index.htm?...k_plug_cars.php

• iTs alL DaRDy........
  • Donating Members

GK your mechanic is a Dick

I know exactly what im talking about!

but sounds like he dont have a clue!

I'm 100% right. And I have lots of Training to back my explanation.

The spark plug web sites offer a basic(and most times inaccurate) explanation of an Ignition systems just to keep people like him that have no real idea happy and thinking they do!

sorry buddy but the guys a moron take your car elsewhere

I spent 3 years working for a company that develops ignition components and understand exactly how they work.

and have spend 6 years in the field fixing ignition systems

the NGK site is right but it explane the reaction to spark NOT the sparks characteristics itself which is MOST impotrtant!

Take your car somewhere whith even half an idea before the f*ks it completely

take it easy

p.s the plugs most of us use R WRX iridiums that arnt listed but are perfect for modded T's

Welcome anyone elses comennts on this :spoton:

GK your mechanic is a Dick

Quite possible :crybaby: , I actually found an Iridium NGK spec'd for the XR6T myself, and Ive begun to explore this Tin Top myself, used to working on bikes and these things are massive considering the poor power output per cc.

Cheers

• 4 weeks later...
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 7m 20d

Is it worth changing to .8mm spark plugs if the only mod youve done is better CAI? mind you I need new spark plugs cause my car has done 90,000klms.

• iTs alL DaRDy........
  • Donating Members

yes mate.

these plugs will be fine on stock tune.

and then when u mod it u wont have to change the plugs again!