Hardwire Gps Using Mobile Phone Socket

rule1110

• Member For: 15y 11m 17d

Hi there

I probably should have sought advice on this topic a few days before attempting to hardwire my garmin nuvi (R.I.P.) but I guess I had to learn the hard way.

I wanted to keep my GPS on the right hand corner of my screen but didn't want a cable running across my dash to power it. Since I use the GPS as a bluetooth phone kit I though I would attempt to hardwire it to 12vold power using the blue phone plug behind the fuse box. Anyway after hacking up my 12v cig plug charger and separating the 2 wires I connected a spade terminal to each. I push on in ground and one in the 12v (Well what I though it was anyway). After plugging it in my GPS turned on then turn off real quick. After sniffing a sus burning smell from the GPS I discovered I probably fried it by connecting the wrong plugs.

Anyways I've found a replacement w a wireless reverse camera :)

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi...em=250284456883 <http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250284456883&ssPageName=ADME:X:AAQ:AU:1123>

Can someone please explain to me how I can dio this properly without frying another poor GPS. I've wired up a a few car stereos and my boat stereo and never had anything like this happen before but I don't want to risk a brand new GPS.

Cheers

rule1110

• iTs alL DaRDy........
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 7m 13d

dude sorry to hear about the nuvi.

the problem u had was the cig socket is actually a voltage reduce 2

as the nuvi only has a 3.7 vlot battery. and by cuttting of the cig attachmrnt and hard wiring you were feeding it 12v direct instead of around 4.

what u will have 2 do is mount a cig socket under the dash and connect that 2 12v then you can plug the charger in under the dash.

goodluck

m

cheers for your replies guys. that's was my first attempt (wiring up a cig lighter cause I didn't want to hack up my nuvi plug) but it didn't seem to be working when I plugged it in. It worked for my phone charger though so I thought my nuvi plug was busted so I decided to hack it up and go the hardwire option. Now today I've opened up my nuvi plug and found it was fused at 1amp and only the fuse had gone. I had no idea these plugs were fused (and lowered the voltage). I just asumed the phone outlet would be fused in the box (and it is but at 15amps)and I guess I just get to eager and want to plug and play. that's life but I won't make that mistake again. On the bright side I'll get a new GPS with wireless reverse camera...

Is there any chance I only fired the battery in the nuvi and I could replace it...? The smell it now gives off would suggest no...

Nice ride mike xrt by the way. I got a 03 BA vixen with 5sp manual, leather and sunroof. Took me months and months to find but eventually found one in mint condition and with low kms (70 000). Such a great car to drive and couldn't be more happy with my purchase.

• Member For: 17y 1m 29d

I've wired the charge cable of my gps to that socket no worries... As Mike mentioned there is a circuit board in the lighter plug that reduces the voltage. You just need to open the plug up and use the wires that go to the terminals in the plug to connect to the mobile phone socket.

After that I just wrapped it all up in electrical tape and zip tied it behind there. Been workin well for a year now.

I've wired the charge cable of my gps to that socket no worries... As Mike mentioned there is a circuit board in the lighter plug that reduces the voltage. You just need to open the plug up and use the wires that go to the terminals in the plug to connect to the mobile phone socket.

After that I just wrapped it all up in electrical tape and zip tied it behind there. Been workin well for a year now.

YEah I got it right the second time. I got that ebay GPS and I now have a wireless reverse camera. It also plays video and mp3 but the best feature is the AV input so I've connected my portable 2.5" media player to it and I can play video clips etc on the screen. Not that I really need that but I thought it was cool and gave me something to do for an afternoon.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member For: 15y 9m 23d

Hey Guys

Attempted to do this customisation today and had some success, but hit a snag.

I wired up the cig lighter and it is recieving power, however when I plug it into my gps, for some reason the gps thinks it is a usb connection and the the gps screen displays the gps - computer connection.

I have a Mio Digiwalker C520. Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers