Rebuild Of My 4speed Auto, With Video And Pics

Headsex

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 18y 8m 8d

So, Yesterday I took my car to Bayswater autos to get Phil to rebuild my box. I blew my planatry's again. I've been working with Phil on a series of cars perfecting the mods required to make these box's hold the power, It seems we still keep coming back to these plantery's.

I've attached awhole serious of youtube video clips for those who wanna know whats involved inside of the 4speed box. Although I did not capture every single detail, I think these following series of videos demonstrate the box.

First of all, this is what blown plantery's sound like in locked first gear

(Turn your sound up)

First of all removing the valve body

Removing the BA Oil pump drive, and removing the main assembly from the gearbox. You also see the rear section of the assembly removed seperately, and on closer inspection of the sun gears(which mesh into the planterys), have damage on them. You also see the Band removed (which is used on 2nd and 4th gear), showing it slightly burnt, Although my 1st to 2nd gear shifting was still excelant. Keep in mind, this still has the factory servo in place.

This one is removing the Plantery/Sprag assembly. Although not clear in the video, there is damage to the plantery gears in form of the hardening coming off, and you actually see the remaining part of a gear tooth fall into Phils hands.

This shows damage to the annulus gear which is what takes the power from the plantery to the output shaft

This shows how the outputshaft/annulus gear sits on the planterys inside the box

This shows the C1 clutch, which is used in 3rd gear and 4th gear. Given the state of the clutches shows that our modifications to the box actually held up quite nicely, the clutches WERE re-usable. Although I had mine replaced.

This shows the C3 clutch disassembly. This is used in Reverse. The condition of these clutches were basically Brand new.

This shows the disassembly of the C3 piston apply. basically the oil builds up behind the clutch pack, and squeeses the frictions which are toothed to the inside shaft, to the steel plates, which are toothed to the outside drum, Causing a 1 to 1 relationship in motion.

The reason the C3 clutch was disassembled was to detach the sungear (this was replaced as a set with the plantery set, since it was damaged.

This shows the re-installation of the One Way Clutch/Sprag, Plantery Set, and Annulus/Output shaft.

Installation of a new band

Reassembly of the C1 clutch, and installation of the intermediate shaft(used in 3rd gear)

Reassembly of the C3 clutch, and installation of the main assembly into the case.

This shows disassembly of the BA oil pump drive. Although my box was rebuild previously using the same oil pump drive as before, We no longer do that, Instead we fit a PRE-BA oil pump drive. The main reason is that the BA oil pump drive is not bushed, and during high rpms(read:thrashing), the pump somewhat resonates and the outer ring eats into the pump housing, causing presure loss. I took photos, but they are somewhat hard to make out

Here is a comparison picture of a BA oil pump on the right, and a AU oil pump on the left. Notice the inner ring on the AU pump has a bush bearing, which keeps it running true on the shaft it sits on, where as the BA one on the right does not, and you can already see the rather odd wearing pattern on the inside (hense the angle of this shot). You can also see the housing on the right which is what the BA pump sits in.

post-7161-1218355175_thumb.jpg

Since I changed my Oil pump drive, I've got a tempory Stanard AU convertor in my car. My convertor has been sent off to get the snout modified (look at the oil pump drive differences in the centre), and I'm also getting the stall speed altered higher again for drag racing purposes.

If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask me here. I've learnt a hell of a lot about these boxes since I've been playing with them with phil over the last few years. Although the box's are relatively standard builds, there are valvebody modification, and various modiciations to some of the moving parts

Danny.

Edited by k31th
fixed vids
  • Like 1

• Still have a turbo, it's just on a diesel.
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 18y 9m 12d

Some interesting vids there danny, but seriously why would you try film with freaken grinder in the back ground ^_^

• Donating Members

Yeh. Not just the 4speed box ^_^

Some interesting vids there danny, but seriously why would you try film with freaken grinder in the back ground :nono:

Yes sorry, forgot to put a warning about the grinder.. Grant was hacking away on the other side of the factory

In person it wasnt as loud as it is on camera..

You dont really need sound because we didnt really explain anything on camera, so feel free to turn it down

Edited by Dagabond

• Donating Members
My 4spd has developed a flair between 2nd and third which seems to be worse when in auto mode. When shifting manually its hardly there. Any ideas what could cause this.

C1 clutch worn out. Look at the videos of my C1 clutch. The clutches are still in good condition considering how much hell they have been through, Yours would be black, and have heat marks in the steel plates.

Further to this, you can tune the 2 different auto modes seperately, and it would seem auto mode does not have enough presure during the shift ramping.

Edited by Headsex

• Still have a turbo, it's just on a diesel.
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 18y 9m 12d
Yes sorry, forgot to put a warning about the grinder.. Grant was hacking away on the other side of the factory

In person it wasnt as loud as it is on camera..

You dont really need sound because we didnt really explain anything on camera, so feel free to turn it down

LOL specially because I turned it up for the first one. ^_^

• Member For: 16y 3m 29d

Looks like they've kept the same housing and narrowed the pump... less surface area. Also the old style pump due to the number of teeth would have much lower pulsing (smoother). Wonder if the fit of the pump is not right from the manufacturer?

Wonder why they do these things sometimes........suppose the new gear with less teeth is cheaper to make? :innocent::biggrin: