Plenums And Boost Control

• Member For: 16y 4m 15d

I was looking at fitting a plenum befor I had my car tuned, now have just been lead to belive that once you change to an aftermarket plenum you have a great deal of trouble controling boost, unless you mod the turbo flapper ect. How manny others have found this? And is this mod on a stock ba bottem end a bad idear? I was more looking at creating around 350rwkw at a lower boost level as apposed to max power.

A plenum will make the same power if not more on less boost regardless of the standard turbo still being in place.

Going by what you're saying Geeseman, 90% of people on this forum with aftermarket plenums including myself have wasted time & money because we still have standard size turbos??

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y 2m 23d
you can fit one ok, but there is no need with the stock turbo as it won't make any more power.

but would it be fair to say that you can make the said power with less boost??

• Member For: 17y 2m 24d

I fitted the plenum and cooler before getting tuned... no problems, if it overboosts itll just go limp mode, no big deal... just dont get into it too much before you get tuned and youll be fine...

as for the plenums making more power, they do on less boost, but only by a fly sh*t,,, like 10rwkw or somthing... or maybe .5psi of boost...

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 17y 11m 5d

As an example of a posible scenario... I fitted one yesterday, along with my usual cooler/4incn intake/hot & cold piping... on the 8psi generic tune it hit 17psi on the dyno befor tuning... so without any wastegate enlarging it would be hard to keep boost down and flat