Who Has Autos, Who Has Manuals In The Fg.

FG-XR6T

What did you Choose? Auto or Manual?  

22 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Member For: 15y 11m 26d

Hey Guys and Girls,

Ive opened this post up to basically give people with a manual FG a chance to put down what they think of the transmission. What are the pro's and con's and are you glad you made the choice?

And People with an Auto FG to put down the same infomation. Pro's and con's and did you make the right choice.

I have a manual FG XR6T and am 90% glad I bought the manual. PRO'S: The gear changes are smooth and the gear ratios seem to work really well with the motors torque. The clutch feels very good and not one bit of slippage. Launch control is great for bragging rights and does work when used properly. CON'S: Gearbox is a little noisy at times and has rollover noise which is normal according to ford. In the wet power does not track well in 1st, 2nd and even 3rd. Launch control is not easy to use and I think its somthing that is overated until perfected.

I am glad I got the manual but for ford to admit to me thet the T6060 gear box is smoother than the T56 but noiser annoyed me a little because they fixed 1 problem but created another.

• Member For: 20y 7m 23d

I've got the Auto but can't compare against the manual because I've never driven one. I love the auto although first gear seems like a big waste of time due to wheel spin in wet or dry. The auto is easy and great to flick the lever when blasting through the bends without requiring the use of a clutch. Other auto cars I've driven have seemed like a pain to get onto power without the use of a clutch but the 6 speed FG gets onto boost really quick and powers on. Also noticed the auto shifts back gears when braking hard to ensure your in the right gear for acceleration afterwards. It also shifts quite smoothly when cruising along.

Benny

• It's not a MKI!
  • Member For: 15y 9m 9d

Shunt or clunk is inevitable in a manual transmission equiped car.

Some more than others.

Due to the direct link between the crank and the diff there will always be some form of backlash, whereas an auto equipped car has the dampening effect of the torque convertor.

For the amount of kms on my car I think the backlash/noise is acceptable.

I'm a mechanic by trade and have heard a few clunky diffs/gearboxes in my experience, and mine is nothing like a clunky diff/gearbox.

For the amount of torque going through it I fell as if it is an exceptional piece of engineering.

The shift is fast and smoothe. No clunk as it goes in gear. And the throw of the shifter is quite good for a production gearbox.

I can't compare it to the previous 6 speed as I haven't driven one, but the box in my car is more than acceptable in my opinion.

• Member For: 15y 11m 26d

Look ill agree. Im very happy with the gearbox and the way it shifts, but the roll over noise is a pain in the arse..... My commdore wasnt as loud as this....

I know its not a big noise but I can still hear it..... Im being picky arnt I. haha