Weird Gearbox Problem

Joey

• Member For: 16y 6m 21d

Boys, need some expert advice!

Gearbox is acting weird. I was driving back to the sunny coast (long drive) not doing anything exciting in particular, just cruising in 6th. Car (manual) doesnt want to change from 6th to 5th anymore. I can go from 4th to 5th fine, or any other gear to 5th and its all good, no weird noises or problems. But the gearstick wont go into 5th from 6th. I have to shift it into 4th or 3rd (all with the clutch in) then into 5th. All very strange. Seems like the selector is out of alignment somehow. Any ideas? Anyone had this problem? :Sug1:

• Forged Member
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 17y 2m 16d

sounds like you are hitting the reverse lock out, have you tried running the car through the gears while stationary? Let the car idle, clutch in and put it in 6th and go to 5th, see how you go. If it works while at idle then maybe you are pushing the stick across a little when down shifting.

• Member For: 16y 6m 21d

Yeah I did try that actually, it seemed to work fine at stationary, so you might be right. I have tried not going over so far, but it wont do it. Just weird that it is fine after I put it back into another gear first :S