Bad Idle

xrturbomatty

• Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 18y 9m 6d

all my idle problems were fixed with a good clean of the throttle body.

give it a shot mate! nulon do a throttle body and carby cleaner, use it liberally, and get the cloth right in there. worked for me!

all my idle problems were fixed with a good clean of the throttle body.

give it a shot mate! nulon do a throttle body and carby cleaner, use it liberally, and get the cloth right in there. worked for me!

Hey mate already tried that a few timesi have new plugs im running 264rwkw could it be valve springs or coil packs thanks

• Member For: 17y 1m 9d

Had the same problem, coil 5 was stuffed on mine changed it fine. I would be it would be one of your coils, you just needs to find out which one.

If it was value spring it would go away after a few minutes when they cool down usually. I had taken mine to ford 6 times kept telling me fixed drive away same problem, went around my mates house he is a Expensive Daewoo tech (But drives a 450+ XR6T !) pulled up in his drive way had one listen went around the block he said coil. Told ford this, they said yeah didn't well tell you that we ordered one (Yeah right) changed been fine since.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 17y 1m 14d

Mate I got the same problem and still cant find it, I have done:

TB clean

Coils packs gange

Spark plugs change

Insulated the coil packs and wires

TPS change

O2 sensor change

and still havent found the problem, I was told it is the PPS (Pedal Positioning Sensor) So that's next on the list..

Pete

Edited by LUMO

• Member For: 15y 9m 23d

:icon_ford: Hi guys! noticed a few people with the dreaded rough idle.

Also interesting to note a few are running K&N oiled air filters.

I have heard of others spending a fortune trying to fix rough idle & this cost you

Nothing but time.

Also may fix that rough change in some autos?

Have a go it may also work for you-

Have a read below. :banghead2:

The Idle Speed Controller Valve, or otherwise known as the Idle Air Bypass System, is responsible for maintaining a smooth, and consistent idle, under different Engine Loads, and temperatures.It does this by allowing a certain amount of air, to bypass the Throttle Body Butterfly, thereby increasing the amount of air entering the engine, under certain conditions, thereby increasing Engine RPM.The Idle speed control valve is controlled by the EEC-V Engine Management system, and is a spring loaded stepped motor, that opens a small valve, that allows air to flow.

It is actually quite common for this valve to get gummed up and slighty jammed, by carbon deposits, oil, and other foreign materials.

This is especially the case if an aftermarket air cleaner, that is oil based (Such as K & N air Filters), as the Oil is slowly sucked in to the Idle speed controller, and slowly blocks off, and jams the air passage and Valve.

Symptoms of a jammed, or dirty Idle Speed Controller include, ·

1) Poor idle quality in cold temperatures. ·

2) Engine stalling under load (Eg Power steering operation, Air Conditioning, etc), under closed throttle (Idle) conditions. ·

3) Rough Gear changes on Automatics when changing from second, to first gear, (Engine speed surging). · 4) Engine RPM surging at idle, for no reason. (I.E. Engine increasing RPM to greater than 1000rpm, for no apparent reason).Cleaning the Idle Speed ControllerThe Idle speed controller can be easily cleaned, and is recommended if the above symptoms exist.

• Like 1