Throttle Sticks At Wide Open !

• Team Grandpa Qualified
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 19y 2m 11d

Yep - interesting morning it was. Onto a ramp into a 70k zone, gave it a foot full and the dam pedal gets stuck at wide open position on the floor. :hammerhead:

What to do - lit up the rears and whizzing past 70k's and it's all happening fast. Threw it in neutral and kicked the pedal a couple of times - 3rd time it lets go. Pull over into a parking area. Crawl underneath into the pedal well.... nothing obvious apart from what feels like a detent switch just prior to full extension. Floor mat was out of the road. No wires or cables in the way. Weird. Spent the day running around at half throttle or less.

NOT happy Jan - off to see the dealer tomorrow to ask for a new pedal box. This'll be interesting....

Any ideas anyone? Has anyone else experienced this MOST unpleasant of Holy Schittteee moments in a T?

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sucker
  • Moderating Team
  • Member For: 19y 11m 30d

It wasn’t caused by a stray centipede was it? :blink:

You’d think it’d have some sort of fail-safe in there wouldn’t ya? Throttle body jammed perhaps? :hammerhead:

• Team Grandpa Qualified
  • Donating Members

Nah - checked in the various orrifi for the stray animal Tab - nothing.

Thought of the throttle body being a tad sticky - but as this is fly by wire, and the pedal was stuck on the floor, I'd say it's just something physically wrong with the pedal box mechanism.

Weird.

• Sucker
  • Moderating Team
  • Member For: 19y 11m 30d

Oh righto - missed that bit sorry. :hammerhead:

Sounds like a dead potentiomeomenater thingo....but it's not a pleasant thought that if it fails you get WOT! :blink:

• Team Grandpa Qualified
  • Donating Members

Whatever it was Tab..... it's not the sort of problem that the average mum and the kids would enjoy, me thinks.

And with the lack of any other response, this is certainly a rare occurrence - if indeed it's ever happened before.

More after my discussion with the dealer tomorrow.

• Every Mod's Favourite Member
  • Member For: 16y 1m 19d

I can't shed any light on this, but can relate to the feeling when it happens. I was in a mates old XF and this happened. I sh*t myself, as he was approaching a turn when it happened. He rode the gutter and eventually turned off the ignition and coasted it in neutral. :spoton:

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y 2m 23d

cant say what it is but there was someone else sometime back that had the same issue (from this site)... cant remember who and what the outcome was.

• Team Grandpa Qualified
  • Donating Members

Thanks Jet - will keep looking.... or I might even use the search function. :spoton:

• Member For: 16y 6m 21d

Man, this is gonna sound unbelievably dumb, but I had the same problem. Check your floor mats. My pedal was getting stuck under the edge of the floor mat. Have a look before you run off to ford! that would be hilarious if that's all it was... hehehe!