N/a To Turbo Conversion

XR6_661

• Member For: 15y 10m 29d

Conversion Help needed!

Ok, so far I have these parts sorted: Crossover, Piping, FMIC, Dump pipe, BOV & manifold.

What else will I need apart from the obvious stuff like the Turbo, etc etc.

I read the conversion thread on here and he was running a boost controller and I didn't see the wastegate control solenoid & boost pressure sensor mentioned? Will I need those 2 small parts or can I just run aftermarket boost controller...like and eboost2 or something?

I read a thread on Australia Ford Forums that mentions a 'mystery' extra loom the turbos had, plugs in underneath the battery tray? I.e. all the wiring is there, the turbos just had this extra loom. Could someone perhaps shed some light on this?

Does the N/A MAP Sensor read boost? I've heard that it can read up to 2 bar or something? Or should I just get a MAP sensor off and XR6T?

Will I need an Auto XR6T ECU to make this all work? If so, will the car map itself with the new ECU or will I need to take it to ford to get it linked to the bcm or pcm or whatever it's called?

What's the go with tapping the block for the oil lines? Is there a tech manual or something that shows exactly where I should be tapping this?

In regards to the injectors, will I need larger ones if I'm only going to be running 5-7psi to begin with?

Is the N/A Plenum the same as the XR6Ts?

In the conversion thread, new water pipes & heater bypass were mentioned? Do I need these or is the stock stuff on the N/A Sufficient?

I'm assuming I'll have to do some driveline upgrades? I've got in mind a 3.73 LSD & XR6T Driveshafts (solid steel) as well as a tranny cooler.

I'm also assuming that any genuine garret GT35/40 will suit this build? Or should I get a genuine XR6T one? Reason I'm asking is I want to buy a brand new turbo, so I don't have to have it rebuilt in the short term.

Oh and is the heat sheilding over the turbo necessary? Or can I just get the turbo 'beanie' and throw that over instead.

Think that covers most my questions...If you have any extra info or anything that'd help me, please post it up! As I am going to be doing this all my self! And on a budget too. I've only spent $350ish so far!

Cheers guys.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Member For: 19y 10m 22d
Why? I own my car outright and I'm 20 so I don't want to get in debt.

Please, everyone refrain from saying "Buy a T buy a T"

you will need a xr6t map sencer,

you can controll boost any way you want, even just run the spring pressure you want to use, and just run it straight off the manifold.

you will need a xr6t fuel regulator,

then it can be tuned using the 2 bar map, on a xr6t tune, and turn the turbo logic off, and controll it manualy.

your injectors will handle up to about 250rwks then,

put a bigger intercooler on it, that way you don't have as much trouble with the high compresion.

or I would run water injection on it.

David

Thanks mate, most helpful post I've had on any forum.

When you say tuning through the map sensor on an xr6t tune, do you mean through means of a flash tuner? What is the turbo logic, is that a parameter in the ECU that decides when the cat goes into overboost?

What would be the easiest way to control the boost? I'm assuming an in cabin dual stage controller or similar would be the way to go....But I'm new to the whole forced induction thing so I'm not 100% sure.

Thanks for your post mate.

• Member For: 19y 10m 22d

yes, I mean through a flash tuner, that is the best way,

without a flash tuner, you will not be able to run the 2 bar map of the xr6t.

if you don't want to spend the money on a custom flash tune,

I would set the turbo up with the standed 4-5 psi actuator, buy a 8 to 1 rising rate regulator,

and run it like that, the reg will give you the fuel it needs, and the standed knock sencer will retard the timing from standed. this is a rough way, but it will work,

if manual, buy a xr6t clutch, from someone, if auto, get a electric shift kit for it.

if you want to spend the money on a in car boost controller, it will work well,

but I would just put an actuator with the boost you would like to run, say 9psi,and you can use a in car blead valve to lift it further if you want. and get it flash tuned.

David

Yeah sweet, I'll want to do this right first time so I'll go the path of the custom flash tunes. I'm assuming a good workshop will know what to do?

My cars an auto, but will I need an electronic shift kit with the flash tuner? As I understand you can firm up shifts through the custom flash,

I'll be spending the cash on an in car boost contoller as well...Got my eyes on a Turbosmart Eboost2...but with a price tag of around $700 I'm not sure...Just wondering if a cheapish controller would serve the same purpose? Perhaps an under bonnet dual stage and I could wire it to an in cabin toggle switch? Would that work?

Cheers,

Hal.

• Three pedals are better then two..
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 10m 23d

Mate please don't take this as a stab at all but have you done all the figures and compared converting an N/A to purchasing an XR6 Turbo as they are so cheap now? What sort of difference is there? If it was me I'd make sure I have a clear figure of what I would be saving buy doing the conversion before I started, you would hate to get it all done only to come off a grand or two in the black.

I'm assuming you have a BA/BF, if you got an el or something like that then yeah go for it.

G'day,

Yeah I've done a lot of the figures in my head, and I'm still sure I'd be coming out on top by converting my N/A XR to turbo.

Like I said in a previous post, I own my car outright and I have the cash now to do the conversion. I know I wouldn't get much for my BA XR....02 model, I'd probably get 16g private sale at the most for it I'm assuming. I'm just avoiding getting into debt (gonna save that for when I buy a house =P) But yeah, like I said, I'm gonna be coming out on top by converting mine and it doesn't hurt to be different. And lets face it, we all become very fond of our pride and joys and I'm not wanting to part with my baby! I understand where you're coming from though mate.