Weird Exhaust Resonating Noise

Grudgee

• Every Mod's Favourite Member
  • Member For: 16y 23d

Since I swapped out my CAI on my TT to a phoon setup and debunged my exhaust (same day) I've had a weird resonating kind of noise at certain rpm ranges.

I originally thought it was just a stupid induction noise, but have since realised the sounds coming from the rear of the vehicle (hard to tell, cause the exhaust is bloody noisy).

I think it's something to do with the debunging, in that there is something amiss that is causing the noise, but I've got no idea what it could be.

Any ideas, oh wise ones?

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Forged Member
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 17y 1m 21d

Tricky one Grudgee - could be a result of the de-bung, but I haven't heard any of the other guys raise a similar issue. Possibly the bung wasn't removed cleanly? Have you looked at all the heat shields?

I'll swing by the exhaust shop and get them to throw it up so we can have a look under it. I thought it might be a bit of a dag still in there, or something like that, but as the 'bung' is just a welshplug, how hard can it be?

What do you reckon I should look at on the heat shields in particular?

• Forged Member
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 17y 1m 21d

just whether the heat shields are loose in anyway. It happens a bit on the T sedans, simple fix to fit some clamps around it and make it tight

• BIGRED
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 17y 5d

is it like a buzzing noise that u can hear from the back? I had a weird noise at the back of mine that only came after a bit of hard driving it turned out to be the rear muffler shat itself they just replaced it and it was all good! might be that?

It's not like a rattle, nor does it sound like something loose shaking about. It's more of a droning-whining-resonating noise.

Best thing I can try and compare to is like blowing into the top of a half-filled bottle, but a less sharp. Sound happens when easing off the pedal, but only in the mid-range. Nothing when revving hard, nor when cruising below 2k.

• Member For: 18y 8m 10d

I have the same thing since the CAI fitment, it seems almost like you can hear the waste gate opening, yet only when on cruise and at part throttle back off. Boost control solenoid working perhaps?? Im not sure exactly but it isnt hindering performance.. I was staggered what a difference the K&N and snorkel made.. And the old girl isnt even tuned......yet.

• Member For: 18y 8m 10d

Mate,

Im quite sure its an induction thing as it has only become apparent since the CAI fitment ( debunging was months earlier on...) I would hazard a guess and say its the boost control solenoid doing its thing... kind of disconcerting as the beast was silent as ever til the snorkel fitment! No real problem, just surprised at the added noise thru the intake..

MJK

The exhaust and CAI was within a couple of days of each other.

Sounds stoopid! So I want to work it out. Pissing own rain outside, so I can't swap the box out today.