Handbrake Goes Up Real High

TurboDewd

• FG Falcon fan!
  • Member For: 20y 8m 22d

:pinch:

so my 2003 BA's handbrake goes up further than it did originally and seems to need adjustment. it works fine but doesnt look right in terms of how far I have to pull it up. I have nfi about these, how much will an adjustment cost? will it last long?

• Next stage, to the Pub in 10 seconds
  • Member For: 19y 7m 15d

Should not cost, I get mine done during each service and they dont charge me for it.

Rob...

• Member For: 17y 11m 26d
:thumbsup:

so my 2003 BA's handbrake goes up further than it did originally and seems to need adjustment. it works fine but doesnt look right in terms of how far I have to pull it up. I have nfi about these, how much will an adjustment cost? will it last long?

It's easier to ask foe it to be tightened at your next service but if you can't wait that long, it will cost you 5 minutes.

Crawl underneath and look for a long screw thread with a nut on it and a couple of other bits. It's roughly a little over halfway back on the ute. That's the handbrake, tighten that and off you go.

• My engine bay is Bionic
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 18y 9d
Should not cost, I get mine done during each service and they dont charge me for it.

Rob...

I hear it very well depends on the relationship you have with your fraud service department. Many posts on here complaining about being charged for it.

Mine starting to point at the roof too.

I.B.

• Member For: 16y 1m 26d

Dont just tighten the cable as that's the apprentice way of doing it. The correct way is to remove the wheels and adjust the handbrake actuators thru the rear disc holes. Then adjust the cable if needed. The cable never comes undone,its the handbrake shoes that wear and the actuator adjustments can sometimes de adjust if someones bent the holding clip. So many people adjust it at the cable which causes handbrake shoes to squeak and wear out.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 17y 22d

Hey mate, I did my apprenticeship on the BA and thus have done that many handbrake adjustments its not funny, its not as simple as crawling under the car and tightening up the cable adjustment, Sometimes yes this will work but its relatively short lived. And Ive seen Other ford mechanics do it and screw it up. This is what Ive found to work best.

1- If you have tightened the cable up using the cable adjustment above the tail shaft, back it off to there is no tension on the cable and thus, no pressure on the rear handbrake shoes.

2- Raise the rear of the vehicle and remove the wheels and rear callipers and rotors, (there is a means to adjust the shoes through the rotors but I find if you do it my way it last alot longer) remove the rear shoes, pay close attention to the retainer spring inside the shoe, its a pain to refit. take the shoes and use a bench grinder or similar to take the edge of the inside and outside and the leading and trailing edges of the friction material on the shoe. This Stops the possibility of a brake squeel that sometimes occurs when going around corners, and the wheels and hubs move laterally and bind on the inner of the rotor.

3- Use 80 or 120 grade emory tape to scuff the friction material on the shoes and do the same on the inside of the rotor which is technically the drum, make sure there is no lip on the inside of the drum, although it varies with age and km's

4- Re-assemble the the shoes onto the hub with the bastard retainer spring, refit the rotor, taping the shoe to center it will make it easier. Spin the rotor on the hub and see how much drag the shoe puts on the rotor. If there is no drag, remove the rotor and use the tiny wheel to adjust it up, clockwise for more tention and vice-versa.

You want to hear a slight woosh noise when the rotor drags slightly on the shoe. Ford has a special tool to aadjust though shoe to the carrect size, similar to a oversized calliper. and a spacer to measure how far the lever moves on the back of the hub but this is useless if the rotors are worn or shoes etc. By feel is the only way to go.

I apologise if this seems long winded but my dealership used to charge 1.5hrs labour and do a half ass job, but they always came back. I used to spend about an hour to do the job right and never had a problem.

Good luck, If you have any dramas pm me and I will give you my number and I will talk you through it.

• Like 1

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 17y 22d

sorry I forgot to add that you need to adjust the cable up after you adjust the shoes, still pm me if you need help

• Member For: 17y 1m 11d

Yeah, by just tightening the cable it will last a few times and the cable will stretch. Follow old mates way and you will have no problems but in saying that ford hand brakes have always been gay and won't work as well as a jap hand brake. not sure what Expensive Daewoo have to offer but from what I've heard they are a similar setup to ford

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 17y 10m 10d

With all my skilled knowledge on all things mechanical I think I'd better take mine to a shop. My handbrake hasn't worked since I bought the car so it will be something new to play with lol.

• The Thief of BadGags
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y 5m 27d

The XR6T hasn't caused me too much dramas....although it usually needs some adjusting at service time.

Now my AUII is a much different stroy. Thinking of installing a sunroof so I can pull the handbrake fully.