Premium Sound Icc And Dvd Head Unit Install

Azid Rush

• Donating doesnt allow you to be an idiot!
  • Member For: 17y 1m 11d

Well yesterday, myself and luke (agent orange) finally got around to starting my stereo install in the falcon.

Our goal, to install a premium icc and a JVC dvd player with I-pod capabilities. We also set out, to have full functionality of the ICC and steering wheel controls aswell as the dvd head unit.

In the end, we succeeded. To use both icc and steering wheel controls, we had to make use of the ford aux booster, previously used to run the ipod. To have decent sound, I would think you would need the amplified one, not the cheap one.

We also, can end that contraversy, and say straight up, that if the two plugs are changed over from stock ICC to premium icc, you will NOT have to go to ford to get it retuned, EVERYTHING works right away.

We decided to take some photos and write up a tutorial for this, as leading up I had a few questions how we were going to do this, and we could not find much information ourselves. So if you sticky it, im sure it will help a lot of people do this install.

It took us around 4-5 hours to do the install, but that included kfc, beer and we also rewired my gauges.

Here was the finished product

100_0429.jpg

Tools you will need

screwdrivers

8mm socket and extension

wires

solder

DVD head unit and Premium ICC

Ford AUX booster cable from ford

3.5mm male plug to 2 x rca's cable (I used a belkin iphone stereo cable from JB HI FI)

Beer

To get picture onto the screen, you will need an RGB converter. I havnt bought this part yet so wont be able to show you installation of that.

First thing to do is remove the tissue box holder. To do this, there is screws underneath shifter surround to take side mouldings off. Then 2 screws on each side of tissue box holder and it will slide out. Remember to unplug cigarette lighter.

To mount the dvd head unit, you will need to modify the tissue box holder. Not to hard, all you need to do is use a dremmel or saw and cut the middle shelf off, and the backing off. All you should have left is the power source side, the top, and the right side. See pic.

100_0392.jpg

Then do some measuring and drill some holes in sides of tissue box holder so you can screw your head unit into it all secure.

100_0412.jpg

100_0411.jpg

Now we chose to disconnect the battery, just better safe then sorry.

Next thing to do is to remove the ICC. To do this, there is 4 bolts, 2 on sides at bottom. There is also a phillips screw in the middle at top undernearh cover/gauge pod. After that, you have to reach up under where tissue box was, and unplug the plugs and aerial. There should be the aerial and 4 plugs, after you unplug them, the ICC should pull out.

100_0402.jpg

This would also be a great time, to wire up your gauges properly if u have them. You have all the room in the world to run them neatly up behind the ICC. This is what we chose to do aswell.

Once this is done, we chose to have a KFC break :P But if your keen you can keep going.

100_0414.jpg

There is 2 plugs you need to transfer from your stock icc to the premium ICC. If you do not do this, your car wont start lol

First one, is at the very top of the icc underneath the top cover. There is a long thin white piece of plastic that goes right across icc. Held down with a screw at each side, and in the middle there is a little while plug that is in it. You need to use that WHOLE piece of plastic. Undo the 2 screws and remove that whole section and put it on same spot on new premium icc.

100_0408.jpg

100_0400.jpg

The second plug that needs to be removed, is basically the whole bottom section of the icc. At the very bottom covering the whole flat bottom is a big blue section where the 4 plugs were removed to take icc out of car. There is 4 screws holding this in, one at each corner. Undo them, and remove the blue cover. Place this on the premium icc exactly the same.

100_0401.jpg

100_0409.jpg

100_0404.jpg

100_0405.jpg

You will also need to take the aerial plug out of the bottom of stock icc and place it in same spot on the new premium icc.

Now you should have the ICC out

100_0413.jpg

Now its the time to run some wiring. For this you will need your wiring harness from the back of the dvd head unit. Having the rcas and aux booster, you should not need any of the speaker wires. So you will only need to strip back 4 wires on harness. Red - accessories, black - earth, yellow - power and green - handbrake (which is to be earthed, not to handbrake)

You will probably have to extend these wires to reach all the way. Run them up past 4 bottom icc plugs, down through side and down near drivers left foot. Run above pedals and over to fuse box. There is a blue plug just behind the fuse panel. This is where your going to get your earth, accessories and power from.

Wiring in the plug is as is:

yellow is 12V

black is earth

accessories is yellow wire with black trace

Splice into these wires and theres your wiring done for the head unit.

Now while your under there, if you havnt plugged in your aux booster cable from ford yet this is the time do it. Right next to the blue plug you just spliced into there is a white plug, that is where u plug aux booster into. Plug it in and run above pedals. Plug in the amp then run rest of wires back up through to where your harness is.

Plug the 3.5mm end of the rca cables into ford aux booster female plug. Plug the rcas into back of the head unit.

ICC time. Take the new icc and carefully place close to where it is to go in. You wont have much room to do this, as the plugs arent long enough so slide icc in a bit. Now reach under where tissue box usually is and plug in the 4 plugs that came out, and also the aerial.

100_0415.jpg

Make sure all plugs are in and secure and push icc straight back. Be sure not to move around to much as there is a big plug in back of dash that icc pushes into so it has to go in straight.

Push it right back and make sure it all clicks in properly.

Replace the 4 8mm bolts and top phillips screw.

Now you have to mount the dvd head unit. This is kinda hard because of all the wiring that's behind of where it is to go. We tried pushing most of wires right down to bottom, then place some black material or foam infront so you cant see wires. Push wires down and push the tissue box and dvd head unit right back until the holes on sides line up to screw in.

100_0422.jpg

Once mounted in its time to test it all out. Replace battery lead. Turn your car on and see if it all works alright, hopefully icc should come up and dvd head unit turns on. Because of the way we used ford aux booster and rca's you will need to turn your ICC to AUX. To do this simply press the AM button twice. Once it has been turned to aux your dvd head unit should be heard through stock speakers, steering wheel and icc volumes should work too.

100_0423.jpg

If all working correctly, replace side mouldings of dash, replace gearshift surround and your done.

100_0427.jpg

100_0428.jpg

100_0426.jpg

Hopefully this has been a help, and given you the confidence to attempt this yourself as personally I do not think it is worth the money that stereo installers charge to do this.

if you have any questions about this installation feel free to PM myself or agent orange and we should be able to help you out.

When picking dvd head units, I would recommend you find one with a front mount aux so you can use an ipod aswell, which you simply choose aux on icc for head deck, the aux on head deck for ipod. Make sure you get "giga mp3" so you can put mp3's on a dvd disc aswell.

Cheers guys hope this has been a help and gets made a sticky.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• F6 Phoon ----- MISH!!
  • Member For: 17y 1m 7d

Just got two changes to add

The accessories for the deck is Black wire with yellow trace

And also when we put the RGB converter like mine we will be hooking up the Handbrake wire to earth so it doesnt turn picture off while u drive.

Note.. also with the left over wires make your knock the ends off so there arent any exposed wires and wrap them in weld tape..

Not a wucker this was pretty good to do, just fiddly with wires and that but part from that can with some knowledge or wiring etc.

PM either of us and we will get you through it

cheers

Luke

Edited by AGENT ORANGE

• ŠύЂפֿĺmβø ™
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 2m 27d

Maybe you should post up the Approx. Cost of all the Items used :stirthepot:

I'm still not sure If I want to put in a full Carputer System, Or just put in a Prem ICC and Headunit as shown here...

Decisions Decisions...

• Donating doesnt allow you to be an idiot!
  • Member For: 17y 1m 11d

well I have heard that dvd head unit gives off much better sound quality and easier functionality then carputer but I suppose its a personal decision.

prices depend on whether you need the premium icc or just the head deck.

Prices without ICC was approx as follows:

Head Unit - $300

3.5mm - rcas cable - $18

RGB Converter - $300 from aus, $150 from overseas

that's pretty much it. If you already have the premium icc, then it is really a cheap upgrade

• Member For: 16y 8m

so I can just add the head deck to mine and can play CD's through that instead of the standard unit?

because I have the premium icc but the CD player doesnt work