The Off Topic Thread.

KEN 24T

• FREAKY
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 14y 3m 3d

fluff the boys will love a pool, spa for the adults sounds good. but do the boys want a pool or more yard to run around? 

we had a massive pool as kids growing up and dad complained about maintaining it every day. 

my mrs wants those pools on the block. plungie or something. 

• ...JD TUNING ADELAIDE...
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 9m 27d

Thank christ everyone can see it from my point of view !

I guarantee I’ll be the sucker cleaning it, filtering it, checking chemicals, using the solar blanket, and generally getting bum rhaped into everything it requires. I’ve been unlucky enough to have an in ground spa once and that was Sheetttttttt to clean after I let it go once !

The new Spa I can deal with and am willing to spend a bit of time each day on as it’s an all year round enjoyment deal but pools are definitely best left to some other poor bastard to have haha

Women love the idea of everything until they have to do it 🤪

• Bob the Freaking Builder
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 14y 6m 16d

Firstly ... the fence is glass so it maintains an open yard

secondly the whole backyard is 200m2 plus 50m2 of alfresco so there’s a bit to play with and be left with plenty of grass still. 

Starting to hand draw it up... I really want a pool 😭😭😭😂😂😂

doefFzN.jpg

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 1m 28d

Here's a compromise... Get an above ground pool etc, which only cost a couple of grand to set up. Get a high enough one and you won't legally need a pool fence.

When you get fed up with it, you can easily remove it and sell the lot on gumtree...or chop it into pieces and chuck it in the bin like I did...nothing wrong with it, just sick of the constant work and CBF dealing with gumnuts ;)

Edited by Puffwagon
A letter

• Member For: 3y 1m 4d

Honestly don't do it..... my last house I had a pool and the damn thing was so maintenance heavy I simply got over it I used it maybe 10 times a year yet it would cost thousands to maintain...

electricity alone was dear as I kept the pool pristine all year round filter needs to run for at least 8hrs a day even in winter.

Come the new house...

guess what it has a pool as well.... and here I am doing all the maintenance so the misses and her family can use it a few weekends during summer 😞

Also when we sold our last place a lot of buyers were turned off by the pool...

they didn't want the headache...

I really didn't think it would be an issue considering the suburb we were in 90% of homes had a pool and the median household income in the area was at the point that you could easily afford to pay for someone to maintain it ... yet it was an issue with alot of buyers

Edited by TRYME

• Member For: 3y 1m 4d

sorry to burst the bubble... but spas

are S#it as well... Had it at last place and the new place and I never use the damn thing

when we first got it it's all oh yea how relaxing is this..... as time went on found ourselves using it less and less often..

pools are a great piece of furniture though, when it's all clean and pristine really makes the backyard pop...

Just be sure to add your stabiliser in summer to prevent chlorine evaporation.

Run the filter and the kreepy crawly/barracuda for a fair amount of time (can run it less in winter)..

check PH levels fortnightly and add acid as required.

I've had both chlorine and saltwater pools, chlorine is less Maintenance and cheaper to maintain.

backwash for filter maintenance fortnightly

Not to mention all the other crap

you gotta do which I cbf to type out

• Bob the Freaking Builder
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 14y 6m 16d

Ugghhhhh

fml 

We’ve  had a spa before so I’m not worried about that. The maintenance on new spas is relatively low and it’s also something we use almost daily to be honest. 

J@ might win this round... we live in an area in which a pool would add value to the home also... saying that we might only be here for another 3years or so, then it will be our problem still, but as the landlord and I cbf dealing with that.

Edited by Mrs Jeturbo