The Off Topic Thread.

KEN 24T

• [IMPULSIV3]
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 4y 11m 28d

Morning all!

Noticed yesterday morning on my way to work that my cruise control wouldn't work. It wouldn't let me set it at all. Same thing last night when I went to pick up the Mrs. 

Lucky it was at night cause I also noticed my brake lights weren't on when I hit the brake... 

This leads me to think the brake light switch is cooked, which is annoying cause I already replaced it at the beginning of the year. Is it that common for them to crap out?

Any ideas what else it could be that I should take a look at?

Last time it died I had a Christmas tree of warnings on the dash but this time absolutely nothing!

I'm gonna by a brake light switch after work anyway just in case, they aren't expensive and if that ends up not being the problem then at least I'll have a spare!

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 18d

Sounds more like an electrical issue rather than the brake switch, as it's rare for the brake switch to go and I don't know the complete symptoms of that sort of failure so it could be the problem... just probably blew a fuse or the bulb(s), check those first.

• [IMPULSIV3]
  • Donating Members

Bulbs are fine, haven't checked the fuses yet. Will check them after work though.

I noticed that the brake lights were constantly on last night too, not dimmed but on as if I was pressing the brake.

I took the switch out and tested it by hand. The lights turned off completely just after half way through the switches stroke, and all the way compressed the lights were dimmed (the state you expect when the car is idle with the lights on).

Also checked for codes and nothing came up.

• [IMPULSIV3]
  • Donating Members

Update on the cooked cruise control. It was in fact the brake slight switch! A part of the switch was broken 🙃

Replaced with a new one for $34 and it’s sweet! 
Wonder if I can claim it under warranty 🤔🤣

• Like 1

• [IMPULSIV3]
  • Donating Members

So the pump just arrived and I have a very sneaky suspicion that it's not genuine 🙃

The thing that got me thinking this was the wire loom ends were extremely corroded. Completely black, looks like it's gone into the insulation too. 

So I did some searching on how to tell the difference between a genuine and non genuine pump and found this article:

https://www.driven2automotive.com/blog/spot-fake-walbro-gss342-fuel-pumps-2017-18/

The eBay seller listed it as a genuine pump too! 

@JETURBO it didn't come with crimp terminals, however other pumps sold on eBay do.... Yet another sign that something isn't right here....

Could be over thinking things though, either way I've messaged the seller requesting proof it's genuine so we'll see how that goes

• ...JD TUNING ADELAIDE...
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 9m 26d

No one should buy a fuel pump off Ebay 

I’ve seen closer fakes than that one in the link. Remanufacturing is an art form these days 

That will fix all potential problems ;) 

The saving of $30-$40 at a best case could cost you your engine ! 

Always buy direct from a reputable fuel system supplier like MTQ/Slekaspares/EFI online/EFIhardware