The Off Topic Thread.

KEN 24T

• Member For: 11y 21d

They drive me mental. Constant waste of IT tech time. Could be doing so much more interesting stuff rather than blocking and cleaning up after spammers:angry:

Like catching up on Skid Factory and Cleetus vids LOL

• Member For: 14y 6m 3d

That's what I like about our email security appliances, out of the 20,000 odd emails per day 97% or near to it get dropped just by the reputation filtering functionality.

These days even the SPAM quarantine only has 10 or so emails and they mainly pick-up profanity or because we get people's bank statements and the wording in the emails is similar to some spammers might use.

• Member For: 11y 21d

That's part of what I mean - the fact we have to have these systems in place and that so much internet traffic is spammy BS. My work systems admittedly are pretty simple to maintain nowadays but you still have to be vigilant as new email sneak thru and staff.....are, well, human and make mistakes.

Yeah I remember back when I started here 9 years and 6 months ago, the sheer number of Chinese IP's hitting our border routers was phenomenal and it's only gone up.

Of course even when they get caught, they plead innocence or say they are being framed.

Then there's the BGP shenanigans they've been doing the last few years.  Too bad we can't easily cut their internet off from the rest of the world for a day or two, that would seriously screw thier economy not being able to connect to the outside world.

https://www.computing.co.uk/ctg/news/3077075/bgp-route-leak-china-telecom

https://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2018/10/30/china-hijacking-internet-traffic-using-bgp-claim-researchers/

China has been accused of hijacking the internet’s Border Gateway Protocol (BGP) to carry out covert man-in-the-middle surveillance on Western countries and companies.

BGP governs how traffic is routed between subdivisions of the internet known as autonomous systems (AS). It ensures that traffic reaches the correct servers – meaning messing around with it is bad news.

An accident perhaps but there have been other, even stranger incidents including one involving China Telecom itself in 2010 in which erroneous BGP saw as much as 15% of the world’s internet traffic routed through Points of Presence (POPs) controlled by the company.

Yeah but you have to expect every country, even our own is trying it.

Edward Snowden did the right thing by bringing it to everyone's attention, too bad he's the one who's life is f*cked because of it.