The Off Topic Thread.

KEN 24T

• Bronze Donating Members
  • Member For: 10y 3m 26d
$1300 for a 8m3 bottle of helium if anyone's counting. Only $220 for 10m3 of argon.
I work for a gas company(Supagas). There is a current massive shortage of heluim worldwide and its starting to effect Australia.
I'm guessing you went to BOC with that 8m3 Helium and they are taking you for a ride with that price hahah. $600 is a fair price with some party shops paying half that.
Adding Helium to your argon mix definitely makes for a nicer alloy weld but isn't really necessary until your over 6mm or you little machine is running out of amps. Even a 25% Helium mix makes a huge difference. Expect the bottle to be twice the price but.

Shop around for your argon! $220 for a G is taking the piss. Tell whoever your getting it from now the opposition offered it to you for $50 and they'll match it no questions asked

• Dropping a turd
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 5m 2d

To save cash 75%/25%   Argon / CO2. that's for MIG and ferrous, materials. Tig  and Non ferrous use Argon.

I have Stick and Mig at home. Have Mig , Tig , Stick, Oxy at work. We qualify welding procedures and welders every day. I have seen all sorts of welds. Its only when you take a macro transverse section that the true quality is shown.

Lack-of-fusion-of-root-run.jpg

Edited by arronm

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 1m 28d
12 minutes ago, bamk2f6tornado said:

I'm guessing you went to BOC with that 8m3 Helium and they are taking you for a ride with that price hahah. $600 is a fair price with some party shops paying half that.

Yeah I have used BOC for my initial gas cylinders. Balloon grade is $481.44 for a size g. Laser grade is $1308.36 and there are a couple of grades in between.

15 minutes ago, bamk2f6tornado said:

I work for a gas company(Supagas).

Shop around for your argon! $220 for a G is taking the piss. Tell whoever your getting it from now the opposition offered it to you for $50 and they'll match it no questions asked

Mate if you can sort me out a better price, sign me up! I'll have a look around anyway, now that you mention it.

For at home light gauge steel I much prefer 5%co2 2%oxy. Welds super super nice but isn't really suited to the think stuff.

Regular industrial grade Helium is fine to weld with which is the 1 step up from balloon grade(20% nitro). Yea can either get It premixed in a bottle with argon I various %'s or use a bottle of each with 2 flow meters.

Where do you live Puff?

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 1m 28d
7 minutes ago, bamk2f6tornado said:

Regular industrial grade Helium is fine to weld with which is the 1 step up from balloon grade(20% nitro). Yea can either get It premixed in a bottle with argon I various %'s or use a bottle of each with 2 flow meters.

That's handy info.

7 minutes ago, bamk2f6tornado said:

Where do you live Puff?

I'm in South Australia, North of Adelaide. There is a Supagas distributor not too far from me.

That's the main depot in SA. I don't have a contact there unfortunately as I'm in qld but worth a visit.
Mention your unhappy with BOC due to service and want to swap. They'll match whatever price you tell them provided you don't get carried away haha

• ...JD TUNING ADELAIDE...
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 9m 27d

I’ve got a good relationship with the manager there Puffy as he has to make me 55% Hexane @ hospital grade and then ship it across from NSW regular enough

everyone else that works there seems to have NFI what gas is unless you want to fill up a BBQ bottle 🙃

5ce9e017492d363181.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1