The Off Topic Thread.

KEN 24T

• Bob the Freaking Builder
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 14y 7m 7d

Don’t care enough to look up his name.

Also I am well aware who he is and his profession and it’s not about what he said as much as the reaction to it that has been had that I was saying was interesting.

Edited by HRM Fluff of Cornwall

• WOT?
  • Moderating Team
  • Member For: 11y 1m 25d
3 minutes ago, k31th said:

but I wouldn't trust his political commentary at all, along with basically any other professional sports-person :)

Add in any celebrity to this.

Public profile doesn't equal intelligence or moral superiority - most of them seem to get confused at this point.

• Like 3

• Donating Members

Agree

But people in the public eye, regardless of their profession, can use that platform to have their opinion which means it will reach a wider audience than you or I for example. 

In that there becomes either mass public support or outrage depending on the persons stance or opinion. 

I guess I just find it interesting because he has an opinion, be it wrong or right, just because he plays professional ruby and his opinion isn’t conformist people are saying he should have his contract scrapped because it’s classes as “hate speech”. I think this is where that freedom of speech issue comes in and we as a society haven’t learnt to either accept free speech or not accept it. 

We tell ourselves we accept it, but then when someone says something we disagree with we call them a bigot or a racist even if they’re actually not. 

Just to add, I actually disagree with what he said, but I think he has a right to his opinion. 

Also Kim Lardashian is becoming a lawyer incase anyone needs a laugh this morning.

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 16y 10d

there's a freedom of speech (to a limited extent here in Australia, compared to the US), but not a freedom of consequence from said speech, that's what most people fail to understand. If you say something stupid, you deserve to be pilloried for it; this guy is no exception.

• WOT?
  • Moderating Team
  • Member For: 11y 1m 25d
4 minutes ago, HRM Fluff of Cornwall said:

Also Kim Lardashian is becoming a lawyer incase anyone needs a laugh this morning. 

This is a brilliant browser addon - add royals, reality tv, MAFS, NBA, rugby keywords etc and have a better day

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/kardashian-filter/kbnhlagadnlfihhgjkmcaffjadkadoap?hl=en

• Haha 1

• Bronze Donating Members
  • Member For: 7y 8m 5d
17 minutes ago, HRM Fluff of Cornwall said:

Kim Lardashian is becoming a lawyer incase anyone needs a laugh this morning.

giphy.gif

one wasnt enough

tenor.gif

Edited by MBAF

• Donating Members

But why Kefffy.

Speech is just that, speech. 

People that don’t like it can simply stop listening, that’s the best part about having a brain, or ear plugs, you can chose what you want to listen or not listen to and how you act based on those things.

He’s not breaking into houses and forcing people to pay attention to his redundant opinion. He’s simply stating what he believes to be the truth on his own platform, to his own followers (who presumably follow him because they’re interested in his beliefs)on the basis that this is what he believes being a Christian. 

Why should he be fired from his job or punished for that? 

Now if he was walking around directly insulting or threatening people individually or personally attacking someone then I completely agree, but he wasn’t, he was broadly commenting on a group of people who live a lifestyle which is diametrically opposed to his. 

Where do we draw the line as to how we punish people for their own opinions? 

Can you prove that god doesn’t exist and he isn’t going to send homosexuals to hell for their sins? Nope... so how can we judge his comments if we don’t even have evidence to support the fact their untrue? 

Oh oh but wait .... someone’s feelings go hurt... so we must not only reply with our own opinions and explain why we disagree... but punish him, ban him from working in his chosen field and make him regret his actions.

interesting with the current climate if he was a Muslim.... would the public reaction be the same at the moment? Maybe.

• Like 3

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 16y 10d
16 minutes ago, HRM Fluff of Cornwall said:

But why Kefffy...

why? because the law says so; specific types of speech are not allowed and can be punished, depending on circumstances. I agree with the US approach, though, which is basically what the crux of what you said entails.

...Why should he be fired from his job or punished for that? 

His opinion and the way he shares it may bring the sport into disrepute, which is up to the arbiter of the sport to decide whether the value lost due to this publicity is worth removing his contract. On these specific topics, I have no idea of the full truth.

Where do we draw the line as to how we punish people for their own opinions?

Based on the law, as it currently stands. If we want the law changed, then we must compel the people who represent us to change them in a way that is more acceptable.

Can you prove that god doesn’t exist and he isn’t going to send homosexuals to hell for their sins? Nope... so how can we judge his comments if we don’t even have evidence to support the fact their untrue?

Nobody can prove a negative, therefore you cannot infer any actions towards said negative. His comments are judged for their effects on the sport, not on the comments themselves and their associated potential validity.

interesting with the current climate if he was a Muslim.... would the public reaction be the same at the moment? Maybe.

it's hard to know... but if he was spouting sharia law, it might be the same reaction, imho.

• Feeling the Love :-)
  • Bronze Donating Members
  • Member For: 11y 19d
ever heard of Catholic (etc) schools?
I was generalising about public schools
Just as Fluff was
And there you go with such an awesome question
Please enlighten me Keefy, are you saying that there's religious schools??????
Who would have thought
What's the world coming to