The Off Topic Thread.

KEN 24T

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 16y 10d
17 minutes ago, HRM Fluff of Cornwall said:

I guess the problem with people who have unwavering commitment to their own beliefs is that regardless of any evidence produced they will only dismiss it and root their feet more firmly in the ground of their own agenda/cause...

Of course every human is vulnerable to confirmation bias. Scientists fight against this bias to minimize it for their entire career, whereas people who have a faith-based ideology are not doing this.

Being objective doesn't exist for some people, despite the fact they believe they are being completely objective, yes Keith this is you to an extent...

Whilst I try to be as objective as possible, I know I'm not perfectly logical, because I'm human. When it comes to this specific topic, I trust I'm being as objective as is possible.

...if I said "God intended for this to happen and he's questioning peoples faith by producing false evidence to see who the non believers are" you would have 0 ways of proving my statement wrong... so how can you hinge a belief system on something which technically cannot be disproved or proven at this time?

The claim "god exists" (which is at the core of your statement) is not falsifiable, which means it cannot be answered by the scientific method. I agree with the bolded part, as basically that's what every person who blindly believes scripture is doing.

Also, the sheer fact someone who spends so much time on the internet is denying atheists have become pushy and abusive to their cause is Ludacris. It's a daily occurrence where someone of any religious denomination is bullied, put down, slammed or abused for their belief systems because of so called "scientific evidence", most of which has come from Dr Google or Wikimoronpedia....

Whilst I agree it's easy to find people who are "militant atheists", it's just as easy to find as many people on the other side pushing hard. When it comes to the open discourse of the comments sections of these pieces of content, I'd agree that atheists are making more ground than believers; hence the "trend".

If a website (such as a google search result or wiki as you mentioned) links to the relevant scientific studies for their determinations, then their determinations are to be trusted, are they not? It's just a matter of following the trail to a supposed "trusted" resource (or two). If somebody doesn't trust the scientific method, then there's no reasoning with said person via this method to start with :)

I promote healthy discussion regarding religion because I truly believe no one knows the answer so its great to see others view points.

The discussion is definitely healthy to have...

I see that knowing the "answer" depends on the question being asked :) science will only claim to answer falsifiable hypotheses :)

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer

gotta love the simulation hypothesis... another non-falsifiable claim :) but a much more fun and inconsequential one to contemplate as compared to ideology.

• Like 1

• Feeling the Love :-)
  • Bronze Donating Members
  • Member For: 11y 19d
29 minutes ago, k31th said:

that's what every person who blindly believes scripture is doing

There you go again Keefy

There are many infallible proves in relation to scripture

We are not "blind"

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer

blindly believing implies you read it then believe it, without evidence. If you already had a-priori evidence, then that's fine, you didn't go in "blind". If you read something, didn't believe it straight-up, researched it and proved it via the scientific method, then you also didn't go in "blind" because you didn't believe it straight-up.