The Off Topic Thread.

KEN 24T

• Feeling the Love :-)
  • Bronze Donating Members
  • Member For: 11y 19d
2 minutes ago, HRM Fluff of Cornwall said:

like no matter the evidence they unwaiveringly deny any notion of a god or greater being... and to me... that’s the most naive viewpoint of all. 

I agree

I try to see things from both sides of the fence

I can see the argument for the big bang and evolution but there are massive holes in their argument you could drive a bus through

but same same for them looking at a biblical creation perspective  

• Is on holiday from communism
  • Member For: 5y 3m 17d
31 minutes ago, bloodycrashboy said:

I try to see things from both sides of the fence

Yeah you do ohmo😏

• Haha 1

• Is on holiday from communism
  • Member For: 5y 3m 17d
10 hours ago, El Andrew said:

Believing in an intelligent designer 

I wouldn't call making  mosquitos, parasites that swim up your ding dong and muslims intelligent design😂

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, I love kittens said:
Yeah you do ohmo

I see your intellect rises to the top
Just like the dross that forms on molten metal

Edited by bloodycrashboy
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, I love kittens said:

What's dross

dross

Dictionary result for dross

/drɒs/
noun

1. something regarded as worthless; rubbish.
"there are bargains if you have the patience to sift through the dross"
synonyms: rubbish, junk, debris, chaff, draff, detritus, flotsam and jetsam; More

2. foreign matter, dregs, or mineral waste, in particular scum formed on the surface of molten metal.

1 hour ago, I love kittens said:

History can easily be manipulated

only if your source is Wikipedia 

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 16y 9d
2 hours ago, bloodycrashboy said:

@k31th

52 seconds in and the presenter supports my case

Quote: "the best way to create a fossil is to trap and quickly bury a dead organism"

yes there are a few other types of fossils but the overwhelming fossil evidence is from rapid burial

here is an article supporting the flood of the Bible

I don't expect you to read it in it's entirety, but a quick scan will give you the idea 

https://answersingenesis.org/fossils/fossil-record/the-fossil-record-1/

just saying "rapid burial" doesn't mean that it was via a flood methodology, that's the point. Types of fossils are easily agreed upon, but the method with which the fossil is preserved is different. "rapid" in a geological time scale, could constitute years of action. Here's a great summary to explain AiG's take: https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Fossil_sorting_by_the_global_flood

1 hour ago, bloodycrashboy said:

Just for the record, I did watch the second video

my conclusion: far to over simplified, maybe primary school level (no offence to you Keith)

the problem is that we both come to separate conclusions based on differing presuppositions 

as with one of my good friends, we may have to agree to disagree 

Yep, that was a simple video. Wasn't a complicated topic. I could have shown you a video debunking the flood hypothesis completely, but that's not what I was trying to achieve by posting the video. The difference is, I don't have any pre-suppositions (other than that of believing in experts without doing the full research that previous scientists have done, which is largely unavoidable as nobody has time to do the research themselves).

1 hour ago, El Andrew said:

Read it recently in a book "Case for Faith". But is a quote from mathematical physicist Robert Griffiths.

Thanks. Will have a look into the sources. I'd only ever seen/heard that physicists are almost entirely atheists and becoming more so :idunno:

1 hour ago, HRM Fluff of Cornwall said:

I will not weigh in with my personal views too much as I believe anyone who sprooks their own beliefs unwaveringly is naive and uneducated due to the fact that both sides present a somewhat valid argument and neither side can fully disprove each other, therefore common sense dictates you can’t come to a difinitive conclusion. 

I don’t believe anyone truly knows the answers.... but I will say that atheists are the new stereotypical Jehovas Witnesses... feels like they knock on everyone’s metaphorical door and shove their beliefs down everyone’s throat. (Not sayin that’s what’s happening here as discussion is always a good thing) ... but it feels like no matter the evidence they unwaiveringly deny any notion of a god or greater being... and to me... that’s the most naive viewpoint of all. 

I don't see anybody spruiking their own belief too much here... I disagree with both sides producing a "valid" argument, though, but we may have slightly differing opinions of "valid" when it comes to debate. I'm confident you can come to definitive conclusions if you ask the right questions.

I don't see Atheists pushing their position more than any "believer" does, other than in a few specific scenario's where it's obvious that non-belief is the ideal position (e.g. not wanting ID taught in schools as a replacement/cohort to science classes)

12 minutes ago, k31th said:

I don't have any pre-suppositions

you must have to believe the Wikipedia  article you posted

that article has the presupposition that the world is billions of years old

that website also treats creationists with contempt

implying that we are not intelligent  

ie: quote "The majority of intelligent modern biblical scholars interpret the flood"

and: "The global flood is a fairly self-descriptive, catastrophic, mythical event found in the book of Genesis."

https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Global_flood

Edited by bloodycrashboy

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 16y 9d

No, it doesn't have that pre-supposition. The only pre-suppositions are that scientists and their methods used to get the results shown are following the scientific method. The evidence (and the methods used to collect it and the collection/measurement setups) show that the Earth is billions of years old, which may or may not confirm a "hypothesis" (which is not a pre-supposition, but a "guess" which are almost exclusively proven to be incorrect).