The Off Topic Thread.

KEN 24T

• Member For: 6y 11m 24d

Why is it the right thing? Its not unlawful. Hang on, let me re-word that, it hasn't been established to be unlawful.

Edited by adams355

• All stock bar the k&n panel filter
  • Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 1m 12d

Yeah, it's a bit of a sticky topic, though. I'd have no problem going about things the right way...if it was reasonable. But making me pay a considerable larger sum of money for mostly stuff I don't wan't/won't watch isn't the way to do it. I haven't really played with Kodi until now, but that looks pretty cool with respects to functionality, customisation etc. And the base app itself is legal.

Sidenote - recommendations for VPN's? Bearing in mind I'll need to install to my Modem (Netgear Nighthawk). Anyone had any experience with IPVanish?

Edited by .Stripes.

• Member For: 14y 6m 10d

I'm using Private Internet Access at home, a quick search shows plenty of people running it on Nighthawk's.  I was put onto it by the Cisco Engineer's at work a few years back.

I've never had problems with PIA and used them for about 4 years now.  Also if you have an old PC/Notebook/Virtual machine, they have a very handy how to for setting up a VPN gateway on a Linux distro - I can't check if they have a Windows one from work, as our security appliances will block me.

One guy at work sold about 30 Kodi boxes to staff before eBay clamped down on selling them, from what I can gather every time sites are blocked, they heal themselves by connecting to update Servers which change the config files, which is why I was looking at one but instead I will probably get a few NVidia Shields instead.

2 hours ago, adams355 said:

Ok all I'm saying is its not a criminal offence or even a civil one at this stage. Federal government blocking sites now. ISP's won't give out personal details.

Are you saying it's not an offence to download certain movies etc. from illegitimate sources, because it's copyright infringement, which is illegal.

As per Fifield's latest speech https://www.minister.communications.gov.au/minister/mitch-fifield/speeches/internet-not-ungoverned-space

Let's be clear – piracy is theft. Downloading an illegal copy of a movie or a TV show is no different to walking into JB HiFi and swiping a DVD off the shelves. In both cases, those who have invested their capital and time into producing a creative work are left unremunerated for their work.

The industry has also taken steps to ensure that content is made available to Australians in a timely manner and at reasonable prices. This has reduced the incentive for people to engage in piracy when you can, for example, watch the latest episode of Game of Thrones at the same time as the rest of the world and for a modest subscription fee.

But Government has a role to play too.

Online piracy will never be eliminated, but we can make life harder for the pirates. And we owe it to those who have had a go at a creative enterprise to back them with assistance to secure their property rights.

None of this worries me though, what worries me is the decryption bill, because I can see content creators throwing money - or worse telling untruth's - the main parties ways and then we see dumb things being passed, at work we've been discussing whether this could end up going the way of no VPN's for home users for example.

If you think that's not going to happen, well they've already passed a dumb metadata bill that's seen access creep from 22 to 90 odd departments etc. even though they promised it would only ever be the original 22.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-10-19/authority-creep-has-more-agencies-accessing-your-metadata/10398348

Ok nitty gritty

https://aic.gov.au/publications/htcb/htcb003

https://www.lifehacker.com.au/2017/08/report-australian-pirates-are-about-to-be-sued-in-court/

Criminal offences

The copyright act defines a number of criminal offences. In most cases criminal provisions only apply where the infringement is done for commercial advantage or profit.

This was my point, unless your are creating download sites or making commercial advantage (criminal) there has been no test of the the law in federal court. If the Isp's allow our details to be given to the US companies, they will only be able to take matters through civil action not criminal, don't fall for government propaganda. 

P.S. I'm only going to talk about cars from now :)

Edited by adams355

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 16y 15d

As long as you're not removing profit (which you're not really, if you were never going to buy it in the first place) nor replacing the profit (e.g. making your own profit) which (basically) nobody does with piracy, it's not theft or copyright infringement. :)

• Like 1

• Feeling the Love :-)
  • Bronze Donating Members
  • Member For: 11y 25d

I use this free VPN

it works well (if you have a high speed hookup)

https://www.vpngate.net/en/

I use their client manager here:  https://www.softether.org/

thank you University of Tsukuba, Japan :)

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 2m 27d
38 minutes ago, adams355 said:

P.S. I'm only going to talk about cars from now :)

SIR, I ALREADY TOLD YOU THAT I AM NOT A COMPUTER PERSON, YOU'RE REFUSING TO HELP ME SO I'M GOING TO HANG UP!

• Like 1

• WOT?
  • Moderating Team
  • Member For: 11y 2m

I use:

Nordvpn - US/UK netflix, bbc etc and foxtel when not in Aus

Witopia - kept an old sub active, will let it lapse this year.

When they first charge a member of the public for downloading a movie from a pirate site and then find them guilty with a fine or punishment, I will then use a VPN. You only need proxy's now, no need to stress. Unless you are taking a picture of yourself downloading a movie with your kok out and sending it to the local police station to piss them off, they don't care, there is nothing they can do. They can't prove you did it, anyone at your home could of done it etc etc etc

I know there a lot of people using VPN  but also consider what other types of people have used them for, now and in the past. Federal and State police know all about this and that's a good thing.

https://www.lifehacker.com.au/2017/05/vpns-personal-information-and-metadata-retention/