The Off Topic Thread.

KEN 24T

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 2m 26d

I just checked ebay for 100 cell cats and they are around $100 to $150. You'd want a 3 inch cat on a stock exhaust.

My solution if you are trying to save money is to buy a 3 inch mild steel cat and then ring around to see how much someone can cut and shut it for. Fark, if you really wanna save money then buy a hacksaw and a second hand gasless mig and do it yourself if you can use the welder alright.

• Member For: 6y 11m 23d

No going 3.5 haha. If you don't want to save money that's fine. There is no conflict between me and the exhaust guy. Its just I know how long it should take and how much he gets parts for. Its still going to be $99 per hour his happy/ I'm happy.

Edited by adams355

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 16y 14d

I got a 3.5inch stainless cat supplied, stainless Y-piece from cat to stock exhaust supplied, cut and re-welded into place for $340 in this post ->

https://www.fordxr6turbo.com/forum/topic/80918-what-did-you-do-to-your-car-today/?do=findComment&comment=1640432

I was happy with that price as it was for a BA and it's a pain to remove the catalytic convertor on those as it's a solid part of a large piece of the stock exhaust.

Don't have the invoice where I am, so I don't have the price for the actual cat or Y-piece or labour breakdown.

• Like 1

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 2m 26d
16 minutes ago, adams355 said:

No going 3.5 haha. If you don't want to save money that's fine. There is no conflict between me and the exhaust guy. Its just I know how long it should take and how much he gets parts for. Its still going to be $99 per hour his happy/ I'm happy.

So between the ebay cat and the $99 fitting you're in and out for $250?!

• Member For: 6y 11m 23d

Yeah, $270 with a decent cat, might do some secret squirrel stuff too, so probably $350. Was quoted $550 minimum yesterday by another. Its coming down lol.

58 minutes ago, k31th said:

I got a 3.5inch stainless cat supplied, stainless Y-piece from cat to stock exhaust supplied, cut and re-welded into place for $340 in this post -

Did you go 3.5 off stock dump?

• Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 2d

Half the time it depends how busy they are too. Same as builders etc quoting for small jobs.

I rang two places to get a bung welded into my dump for the wideband sensor on the BA. One guy said $350… another said $100.

Guess which one has had all of my exhaust work and the numerous recommendations to friends since?

Oh yeah and then there was the place that quoted ten hours to do diff bushes and front and rear shocks.

• Like 1

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 16y 14d
38 minutes ago, adams355 said:

Did you go 3.5 off stock dump?

as you can see in the linked post, it's just off the stock 3" (or less, whatever it is...) dump outlet.

• Like 1