The Off Topic Thread.

KEN 24T

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 2m 20d

Think about what a tune's worth then think about what he charges (more than others) then think about how many cars he's tuned.

That is a farken lot of pocket money.

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 16y 8d

I'm sure J@ tunes far less cars than a regular tuner, so if he's making a profit on his tune costs, it's probably absorbed by the amount of time and attention he spends on the vehicles and customers of his (just judging by his own thread is enough to see he goes fairly far in these areas), so it's a bit hard to compare him to an average joe trying to scrape a business by. just my 2c :idunno:

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 2m 20d

Without trying to suck eggs the guy is obviously well above average in his ability to learn new things and cos he gives a fark it shows in his work. That is what you expect from a workshop but unfortunately some fall short.

However...ain't no one got time to provide some of the best aussie falcon dyno tuning for love. You have to be paid something or you get resentful.

That aside, he is probably better than the rest and is charging accordingly. Nothing wrong with that either.

Back on the off topic topic, @adams355 just buy a venom dump/cat/y pipe combo for a bit under a grand and fit it yourself. Jobs done.

17 minutes ago, k31th said:

if he's making a profit on his tune costs, it's probably absorbed by the amount of time and attention he spends on the vehicles and customers of his

It's a hobby so the time=money factor is taken out of it.

• Member For: 6y 11m 17d
49 minutes ago, camo86T said:

ok so my point stands

There are still shops around happy to make a pittance but they are dying out 

Which is where it's great to have someone around like jet, who has a fulltime day job and does his thing after hours because he loves it

He's happy to cover his costs and look after guys on here for parts because not the same overheads

And in doing so he gets a following and continual tuning work which (I presume) he charges a reasonable rate for = win/win

Lets break it down then. I pay $250 for for cat, labour to put it on becomes $160 per hour. I am billed for 1 hour. Job only takes 30mins. $320p/h for a cat install.

50 minutes ago, Puffwagon said:

Back on the off topic topic, @adams355 just buy a venom dump/cat/y pipe combo for a bit under a grand and fit it yourself. Jobs done.

I have all those parts or similar new under $300.

Anyhow, at least with tuners you pay for knowledge, expertise etc. Saying that there seems to be a lot of my way, my parts or no. Stage one. stage 2, stage 3. That will be best for most, but if someone comes in and has done their mods correctly or researched what they want, prices vary wildly.

Sorry I'm gonna kick here, not happy about what real dyno is doing.

This is a review from the exhaust shop:

'Quick friendly service. Had my Catalyst converter on my Ford Territory changed over in less than half an hour and off I went'

PM me if you want details.

Yea I do and it will take an hour for what I want done. But he also said to me this morning I usually charge $300 for cats from his supplier whom he has trade with for 20 years. He is just calling what he thinks is my bluff on the price I can get the cat for. I'm poor so I have to scrounge but there is a lot of money to be saved out there if people take some time to learn a few things.

And because the forum is 'dying' I thought I could stir the pot (thing wont work). :)

P.S. This isn't a first call up quote either, he has done some small jobs for me in the past.

Edited by adams355